Questions with Scots Pine "Jeremy"

PierreR

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2a
Gentlemen, although an interesting read, and somewhat funny at times, I will make an effort to focus this discussion, and bring it back in line with the original theme of this thread.
I / you need to remove the tree from the nursery tub and video the tree without the tub. Video the tree with the soil level as the horizontal so that the base of the trunk is visable. I know you have already posted twice and I know what a pain in Arse it is to do this but if you can you should.

Video as requested.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
. . . curious if you were referring to Ilex serrata. . .

Ilex verticillata Yes; I know should grow like hell here and be beautiful.
Trust me, take up a safe hobby like underwater basket weaving rather
than worrying yourself to death with it here. AU Arboretum even replaced
theirs with Alabama Crotons because they were too much of a finicky nellie.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Gentlemen, although an interesting read, and somewhat funny at times, I will make an effort to focus this discussion, and bring it back in line with the original theme of this thread.

Video as requested.
Sorry that your thread has been hijacked. If you want to share this on a private conversation I am willing.

Reaction score
I would go with the central trunk line, removing one of the lower branches soon. at 15 sec. i like the trunk the most. There is absolutely no need to fixate on a front right now. Do a selection and clean up of the branches when it is the best time in your climate.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I would go with the central trunk line, removing one of the lower branches soon. at 15 sec. i like the trunk the most. There is absolutely no need to fixate on a front right now. Do a selection and clean up of the branches when it is the best time in your climate.

I agree, but I would still like to see the trunk line with the tree same as in the video just like I described to you in our PM . Use the example of my Avatar as a template.

PierreR

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2a
Here is the newest, cleanest video with full view. Two thoughts. At 5 seconds in the trunk line (center) is favorable, loosing both lower branches/secondary trunks and jinning. Option 1
At 16 seconds, the thought is that the right branch becomes the new main trunk, and the center and rear trunks go. Jinning the rear branch, as well as jinning and hollowing the center/main trunk. Option 2

I'd like to hear you thoughts/ideas.

Reaction score
with option 2 the taper is less natural (seen from video) and you miss a low branch. Option 1 sounds good, you don't have to pick a front yet.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
image.jpg

Sorry about the hijack...

Vance, this is my daughter with her horse, Findlay. Taken right after she won the State 4-H title in Showmanship.

Findlay has been to the World Show in Oklahoma, has two ROMs, and tons of "points" for showing in AQHA shows.

He's now retired, and I am privileged to have him gracing my pastures.

The daughter, by the way, is studying French Horn as a Performance Major at UGA.

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
Hennops River Valley,Gauteng,South Africa
USDA Zone
8b
View attachment 75940

Sorry about the hijack...

Vance, this is my daughter with her horse, Findlay. Taken right after she won the State 4-H title in Showmanship.

Findlay has been to the World Show in Oklahoma, has two ROMs, and tons of "points" for showing in AQHA shows.

He's now retired, and I am privileged to have him gracing my pastures.

The daughter, by the way, is studying French Horn as a Performance Major at UGA.

quarter horse? lovely animal, like the intelligent eyes! our family breeds Arabians

best regards
Herman

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yep. Quarter Horse.

Grand sire was Zippo Pine Bar. Sire was Zip's Chocolate Chip.

Both were World Champions.

Findlay is a very smart horse.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dave, two days after this picture, Brooke and Findlay came in Second in English Showmanship at the State 4-H show.

Ok, I'm done talking about horses now.

PierreR

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2a
with option 2 the taper is less natural (seen from video) and you miss a low branch. Option 1 sounds good, you don't have to pick a front yet.
After chatting with Vance (thank you by the way) I think the game plan for this season, is to remove one of the large branches, leaving a stump to dry out, then Jin. As well, remove a few of the smaller branches, to allow light in. Then it the fall or early spring, remove the second large branch.

Can somebody give me a numerical value for a granular fertilizer? I have a liquid soluble evergreen/cedar fertilizer 30/10/10...

Reaction score
After chatting with Vance (thank you by the way) I think the game plan for this season, is to remove one of the large branches, leaving a stump to dry out, then Jin. As well, remove a few of the smaller branches, to allow light in. Then it the fall or early spring, remove the second large branch.

Can somebody give me a numerical value for a granular fertilizer? I have a liquid soluble evergreen/cedar fertilizer 30/10/10...

sounds like a solid plan, don't forget to do a first styling in fall / winter wiring everything open and adding movement to the branches. Use the branches around and bend in the correct way. don't work on a front yet when your vision is not clear. You can do that next year, or the year after or ... later...

PierreR

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2a
SO today I removed one of the larger branches, as well as all the dead twigs, and some of the twigs on the underside of branches. Also removed some of the unwanted branches to allow light in. Done pruning for now. Maybe some in the fall, and some wiring.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Way to go you don't get anywhere if you don't take the first steps. _______How about some pictures????

PierreR

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2a
Way to go you don't get anywhere if you don't take the first steps. _______How about some pictures????
Absolutely! Not sure if I should have opened it up more, but these 4 sides will give you a better look inside... I hope ;)
4B6217FB-9A2E-4BFF-800E-94B5EA661686_zpslplkblqb.jpg

3FFD3D3F-A726-4972-A9D2-B81BA0C078E2_zpsgcn7ydcs.jpg

76152144-0744-466A-932D-85F8EB848273_zpsg5rkmbqc.jpg

F267AAE6-27CB-4963-8CEC-726F56484D0C_zpsdyp8dasr.jpg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Very good. Now let's see how it does. Be careful as the weather gets hot that you don't allow it to get too dry. Just pay close attention to water consumption.

Reaction score
Good start. there are still some problem areas in the higher part of the tree. When you start thinking about styling in fall some of the flaws will be obvious. For now listen to Vance and monitor the water consumption. You have some of the branches on the right places.

Top Bottom