Quick Coastal Redwood Progression

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
This redwood was bought in July of 09 from Mendocino Coast Bonsai. The first picture was August 09, the second February 2010, and the last is from this month. It has been a very fast progression so far, and I am actually finding it hard to keep up with. The branches are starting to thicken and really take shape, and the needles are starting to turn a dark green and harden. I potted it in a Jim Gremel Namban which I think is appropriate, but not entirely sure. It is still pretty scraggly, but hopefully it will fill out and look nicer next year. Enjoy!

Attachments

• redwood beginning.JPG
    redwood beginning.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 266
  • redwood repot.JPG
    redwood repot.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 288
  • redwood1.JPG
    redwood1.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 311

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wow... I guess you were not kidding that they had some nice pre material. I did check out the medocino site and was very impressed...as I am with this material you are working on...

Very nice job picking a front.. Nice natural taper.. Just what you would want in a redwood..not too curvy, but very subtle with a rugged, strong presence. Also, nice branch selection so far..

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
p.s. the pot is a very nice pot and probably good for health reasons at this juncture.. This pot will give the root ball a 360 degree spread in which to grow some new, healthy, fobrous roots...and since it is in the stage of training where it needs to grow the most, this was a good option...

For the final pot, you may want to go with a more rectangular shape pot. Generally, thick trunked, old and stong informal uprights are put into rectangular pots for their final pot... but, that is a guideline and it is really what looks the best in the end. So, in about 2 years, when everything is in place, that would be the time for a final pot decision. Again though, I think this pot was a good choice for the necessary growth of the tree.

Rob

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I like the leafy aesthetic of the first and the lumpy and misshapen accentuation of the third,combining the two to create an opposite of the second image would indeed be nice.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Thank you Rob! Its always nice to hear I'm doing something right. I'm sure I will find a new more suitable pot when the time comes. I am going to post a new thread in the vendor section about Mendocino Coast Bonsai for ya.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
New pot for Coastal Redwood

Well, the redwood is coming along incredibly well and I hope to show it in REBS this year. I bought a new Sara Rayner pot and repotted the tree a few weeks ago. Now it will be a matter of hitting it hard with the fertilizer, and pruning back to smaller buds. Enjoy!

Attachments

• redwood 2-20-11.JPG
    redwood 2-20-11.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 173

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
The tree is really filling in nicely now, and I have been pinching new growth in preparation for the show in August. It is about time for a re-wire this Saturday, at which time I will do a small amount of detail carving on the chops to make it look a little more natural. In the last photo I tried to show the see-through in the trunk, but with the black background it gets a little lost, but you get the idea. If all goes well, I will have my very first show tree, styled by me from beginning to end. Exciting!

Attachments

• DSCF1520.jpg
    DSCF1520.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCF1521.jpg
    DSCF1521.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCF1522.jpg
    DSCF1522.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 109

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tree is really filling in nicely now, and I have been pinching new growth in preparation for the show in August. It is about time for a re-wire this Saturday, at which time I will do a small amount of detail carving on the chops to make it look a little more natural. In the last photo I tried to show the see-through in the trunk, but with the black background it gets a little lost, but you get the idea. If all goes well, I will have my very first show tree, styled by me from beginning to end. Exciting!

Beautiful tree, Brian. Great work!

Zach

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks Zach and Rob! I have actually been asked to write an article on this tree for Golden Statements July/August issue, along with back information on myself as a relative newbie/youngster in the bonsai world, and information on the tree's preparations for the upcoming REBS show. I'm a little nervous about it, so perhaps I'll post it on Bonsai Nut for critique first...

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello Brian,
Don't be nervous :)...You have a beautiful tree and have done a great job with it..Anyone would he happy to have that redwood on their bonsai tables. I know I would.

Top Bottom