Quick freeze

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
So, a yesterday my fiance tells me that there is a cols front and first freeze coming this weekend. Highs 40s/50s and lows in the 30s.

Should I just let everything stay outside and in place for this 2 day cold front? It should be back in the 70s and nightly 50s next week.

Should I just put everything into the garage?

Ficus, oaks, a couple maples, junipers and pines are the trees in question.

Thanks in advance guys!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aye, ficus in, once, and that's it till constantly over 50.

Welcome to Winter!

Sorce

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
My ficus comes in when I see 40 deg F.
This year I brought my trops inside extra early, it was like the first cold morning in September, I brought them in, didn't want to take any chances, not that my trops are worth a crap....but I like em.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My ficus comes in when I see 40 deg F.
This year I brought my trops inside extra early, it was like the first cold morning in September, I brought them in, didn't want to take any chances, not that my trops are worth a crap....but I like em.
Brought my bougainvillea and rabbit foot fern in early as well. Didn't feel like trusting the weatherman with living in a microclimate where we can be ten degrees cooler than forecast.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Okay so I will bring the ficus in.

As far as long term, should oaks and maples just go into the garage? Or should I get a Styrofoam ice chest filled with mulch and put them below the bench?

Am I right with thinking that the junipers, pines, and spruce can just stay on the bench all winter? They are in straight DE, or potting soil, 1 or 2 being slipped from potting soil into DE.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Probably either way is fine...
As much as I want to just leave my trees on the bench all winter, I feel the "better safe than sorry" mentality in the back of my mind...
My deciduous all go in the garage after leaf drop, or after it's actually cold out, if leaves haven't dropped by then...
My conifers go under my back deck, on the ground, pots buried in pine bark mulch.
My broadleaf evergreens go in the garage with the deciduous.

But what about the deciduous conifers, you may ask? ;)
Garage.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Only when it will freeze -10°c for a week i will put trees in my shed otherwise i keep em outside together on the ground in my backyard wich us south sided protected from icey winds
No losses last year and last couple of years our winters are mild tough

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Am I right with thinking that the junipers, pines, and spruce can just stay on the bench all winter
Don't.
Of course your winters aren't as bad as mine but I left an American elm and a tamarack sit out 2 years ago. They didn't make it. The ones I munched in on the north side of a shed were fine. The ones that survived the voles that is.

Top Bottom