Quick question about lighting

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
In my greenhouse I have all ficus and a fukien tea now my question is for the winter can I keep my lights on for 12+hours a day over the winter or should I cut back the lights? And what is the differences?

They have been in the green house now for 3 weeks and they are back on veg new shoots everywhere but I just wanted to get some advice.

Thanks,

Tim

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
All the plants we have that come into the plant room for Winter receive 16 hours, 8 on 4 off, 8 on 4 off. That is what growers do and so far I find it works well. You cannot replicate the strength of the sun but length of day by light duration helps.

Grimmy

DrBonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I generally keep the lights on 16 hours and off for 8. Is there an advantage for 8 on, 4 off ?
That seems like an ab-normal/ un-natural pattern ?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I generally keep the lights on 16 hours and off for 8. Is there an advantage for 8 on, 4 off ?
That seems like an ab-normal/ un-natural pattern ?

That is just what many large greenhouse operations have been doing for ages. I can see it being of more value plant wise with higher intensity lighting close to plants giving them a breather and allowing for more transpiration cycles. Those are my "thoughts' on it, never researched it, just know it works here :p

Grimmy

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks guys!!! I just have them on T5's for around 15 hours or so with a timer set. I think if I start messing around I might stress them out but I will do some research on it.

DrBonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I also have them on T 5's for around 16 hours with a timer set.
I'll let you do the research and let us know, lol !

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'll have to skim around the net a bit on this, the weed people seem to discuss it a lot but the topic seems to thin out if you use "-cannabis" in the search. I may have to give it a try this winter. My trees are in a solarium and receive a fair bit of "supplemental" natural sunlight right now, but that will drop as the days get longer.

Top Bottom