quick question

jacob.morgan78

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Generally, how long do you place your new bonsai in the shade after sculpting it from nursery material? I'm working with boxwood currently and have seen some different opinions and was curious what you guys practiced. Also, would the unheated garage work for a good location while it was recovering?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I throw my boxwood, even newly collected ones, straight under full sun. maybe give some shade for a week during summer but that is it.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Be advised that Kingsville Boxwood do not take well to full sun. Dappled sun, or morning sun/PM shade. I cannot speak to landscape material. Yet.
If you were doing rootwork, I would definitely recommend erring on the side of shade for a couple of weeks.
Julian Adams (AdamsBonsai) in Lynchburg should be able to counsel you. Also the clubs in Richmond, Charlottesville, or Norfolk are options. There are other Bnutters in your area too. You can get contact info from the Potomac Bonsai Association's website.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
here in southern california there is a pretty good consensus that boxwood looks better and seems happier with a little bit of protection from full sun. Dario may or may not see this for one or more reasons including a deep pot versus a shallow bonsai pot. So in my opinion it wont hurt to put it in an area that doesnt receive full sun all day everyday indefinitely. Im not referring to kingsville.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
here in southern california there is a pretty good consensus that boxwood looks better and seems happier with a little bit of protection from full sun. Dario may or may not see this for one or more reasons including a deep pot versus a shallow bonsai pot. So in my opinion it wont hurt to put it in an area that doesnt receive full sun all day everyday indefinitely. Im not referring to kingsville.

I agree, and they do have greener leaves under some afternoon shade here too but I have no choice since my shaded area is all occupied. My response is basically to confirm that they can take full (Texas) sun if need be...even after a repot or collection.

I admit (and stand corrected) that they do better with afternoon shade.

jacob.morgan78

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you! One more thing, if I still have your attention :) Is it correct that I should wait until I see new growth before I start any kind of fertilizing program?

Thanks again!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you! One more thing, if I still have your attention :) Is it correct that I should wait until I see new growth before I start any kind of fertilizing program?

Thanks again!

It is safer. I sometimes use a soil mix some organic fertilizer (bunny rabbit poop) and they are fine. Note that the "poop" is really mild NPK wise.

Top Bottom