quick shot of fig and hibiscus rooted cuttings

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
chicago hardy and hardy hibiscus - white
the big leafs on the fig are from some big buds, but the leafs can be smaller
with hardcutting and pruning. they are bulletproof, about a dozen of each underway.

20210701_073426.jpg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
do you grow anything in grow beds, to speed up development?

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
do you grow anything in grow beds, to speed up development?

i have an area where i can grow in ground, yes, and raised beds.
might put a few in the ground for the hell of it sometime
i have pitch pine in the ground currently for development

figs grow relatively quickly, and the ones i have and prop are suited to where i live.
i could grow some in the ground but up-potting them and proper care they will grow damn quick
and produce fruit within a year or two of growing whats in the picture

not sure on the hibiscus growth rate off hand, the tropical ones flower so much they tend to grow slower in my experience, the hardy ones could be a different story but i dont have enough experience yet

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Black jack fig? I have one that was off and on with health but when I got it in the greenhouse, it started doing really well with lots of new growth.

Do you winter them outside?

Oh, maybe Chicago hardy is the name of the fig...

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
i have an area where i can grow in ground, yes, and raised beds.
might put a few in the ground for the hell of it sometime
i have pitch pine in the ground currently for development

figs grow relatively quickly, and the ones i have and prop are suited to where i live.
i could grow some in the ground but up-potting them and proper care they will grow damn quick
and produce fruit within a year or two of growing whats in the picture

not sure on the hibiscus growth rate off hand, the tropical ones flower so much they tend to grow slower in my experience, the hardy ones could be a different story but i dont have enough experience yet
haha dont let me force you into it! if youre happy to grow trees at this level then good on you mate. 'do you' as they say:cool:

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
@JackHammer i have 2 mature chicago hardy and two mature brown turkey, and then the cuttings from those. theres about 40 figs on the big turkey as of right now

i overwintered them last year in my garage, watered them like twice all winter

youtube channel 'Millennial gardener figs' and he has tons of info on them from NC climate.
i get a lot of my fig knowledge from him. such as aiming for Y shape with structure.
they bonsai well too and 'herons bonsai figs' youtube has info on his
my bonsai brown turkey has figs forming on it as of now

i run the ones that hold up to winters more and produce well

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Black jack fig? I have one that was off and on with health but when I got it in the greenhouse, it started doing really well with lots of new growth.

Do you winter them outside?

Oh, maybe Chicago hardy is the name of the fig...
i could winter them outside...chicago hardy and even the brown turkey can deal with a lot. maybe bring them in shelter for truly heinous winter conditions to be safe.

i thought you meant black mission with yours. a common fig for california

Ross Radi aka ross the fig boss is great on YT as well, from PA, but he talks so damn much and is just on another level haha.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
not sure on the hibiscus growth rate off hand,
I have hardy hibiscus. They get like 5ft high and just as wide. I threaten to dig them up every year because they kind of take over everything else. But those giant flowers keep me from doing it. Here, they die back to the ground every year, but always come back. Unlike the tropical ones, they only bloom once a year. Should be soon here.

Top Bottom