Quick thread grafting question

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
When thread grafting, do you seal the graft points or just wait for the branch to thicken and seal itself? I am going to doing a bit of work on a trident.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
When thread grafting, do you seal the graft points or just wait for the branch to thicken and seal itself? I am going to doing a bit of work on a trident.

I'm not saying it's so but from everything I've read you seal both the entry and exit areas. I have seen where you first wedge small strips of wood in the holes first but you probably know that. I'm sure someone else will weigh in as well.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I never have I would assume it may mess up the union between the trunk and the grafted branch. It would seem that any sealer would get in between the trunk cambium and the young branch and could either prevent joining or at least delay it. I have done this successfully on Ficus and Elm Varities including Chinese Elm and Catlin Elm without no sealer.

ed

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've done it both ways, and it's worked either way. It's probably safer to go with sealant though. I'd hate to have my Japanese maple get fungus at the wound. On a Trident, I wouldn't bother.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Milrehigh, I was looking at Al's (Smoke) blog as you mentioned Trident Maples in your post and I have never owned one. he does indeed seal thread grafts on root grafts with his tridents. Although when he grafted branches from the tree back into slots for branch grafts he just pinned them to the tree until they took and no sign of sealer in the pics on his blog. I would PM Al as he has a lot of experience with Tridents and he is a nice guy who will answer your questions.

ed

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I've sealed all of the thread grafts I've done.

Scott

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rob, when you think of what it takes for a successful thread graft, the critical spot is the graft on the "exit " side. So, making sure all the variables are excluded for a good graft union at that point is what you want. That means drilling in the direction that gives the cleanest hole where you want it. Drills leave one clean hole and one jagged exit hole so drill at that side of the graft and using a knife, enlarge the entry hole so that it doesn't graft first. This is usually the spot most thread grafts fail. Water is a grafts worst enemy. Wedge the scion against the top of the hole and use a putty type sealant for both holes. I've never had a thread graft fail other than breakage during the process of growing out.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
0, the top, on a vertical section, always form callus first. This callus forms the initial union.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
Yes. Wedging one side (of both the entry and exit points) and ”covering” the gap round the thread graft with sealing ….. not pressing it ”into” the gap. This is where the wax sealing is better than the liquid stuff.

Top Bottom