Quick useful Jiffy Tray fix or two

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As the standard Jiffy tray is rather flimsy I do a quick modification or two to make them useful :)

I start will plant flats that any Nursery is more then happy to give anyone free. I asked for 6 yesterday and they gave me 10 anyways -

IMG_1268.JPG

I drill 1/8 inch holes for drainage in a Standard Jiffy Tray as so, nothing fancy -

IMG_1275.JPG

Insert the Jiffy Tray into the Flat. Now you can actually lift and move it without it collapsing -

IMG_1277.JPG

Cover for tiny cutting or seeds. You can also drill the sides for air flow if you feel a need -

IMG_1278.JPG

I carried this tray over 20 feet without it folding or failing using this method -

IMG_1281.JPG

If you need to not have them drain as if bringing indoors simply plop the flat and tray into another without holes -

IMG_1279.JPG

Happy growing!

Grimmy

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am surprised nobody asked why not just use the flats that are free?

I believe it was @rockm that posted about rain and how much it actually tosses dirt from the ground upwards even in small bursts. It can cause a variety of problems.

I keep most all of the small stuff less then a foot off the ground on shelves so the Jiffy used as a liner offers the plants some protection from that and I also have not found any critters under plant containers.

Grimmy

Top Bottom