Quince clumps?

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
i have a white flowering quince here , not sure of the exact cultivar , contorted maybe ? Anyway I thought I read somewhere that when you repot by cutting off a section of the rootball and planting that it will grow suckers ? I'm curious about this as I will be repotting this one next spring , any insight tips or ideas , has anyone tried or witnessed this or know where I can find any information ? Either way I'll try it I guess!

This one sends out many suckers all year long

@fredtruck
@William N. Valavanis

IMG_2446.JPG IMG_2448.JPG

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Sure looks like 'Contorta' to me. I've got no advise to give, and you wouldn't want it anyway, as I killed my lone contorta over the winter.

Over the winter ? Well that's a bummer ! Sorry to hear !

John Topicz

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've tried with my Chinese quince with no luck yet. I'd really like to know myself.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've had a few quince. And they threw suckers all the time in the ground, but only after established in a pot. I started getting suckers on my contorted after one full season in a pot after digging from the ground. Good flower show. Its sulking now though because I didn't repot this past spring after flowering, it's full of roots and the pot is shallow. All the water in the world can't help that I think these like deeper pots.

Yours looks pretty damn good, lets see the rest of it!

John Topicz

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It raining heavily right now, otherwise I'd get a pic of just them. Here's one I have from a few weeks ago of the three of them.IMG_20170822_105859.jpg

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I've had a few quince. And they threw suckers all the time in the ground, but only after established in a pot. I started getting suckers on my contorted after one full season in a pot after digging from the ground. Good flower show. Its sulking now though because I didn't repot this past spring after flowering, it's full of roots and the pot is shallow. All the water in the world can't help that I think these like deeper pots.

Yours looks pretty damn good, lets see the rest of it!
Thanks man if I keep the squirrels from destroying it I built its own pedestal off the porch away from a lot of other trees and they don't seem to bother it as much now it's higher off of the ground and isolated, I thought I was going to looked it last year they chewed the trunk all to pieces right at soil level . Not a happy camper here boys.

It was sold to me as a Japanese flowering quince about 3 years ago.

I will dig up some pictures and take a few more when I get a chance. It's usually only a camera slut when it's flowering and then I still have to watch it , either the chipmunks or squirrels knocked almost every flower bud off this past winter , I believe I posted somewhere on bnut I'll see if I can find those

I swear I read something about this technique somewhere !

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I normally smack out the root supporting the sucker on Quince - perhaps you are thinking of Serrisa? Those do as you describe pretty reliable but I am tagging @Leo in N E Illinois on this one ;)

Grimmy

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@jriddell88 , @GrimLore
I've done a number of root cuttings over the years, I'm not at home, so pictures aren't handy. I have 2 root cuttings of my 'Contorted White' in their second year.
If you cut off roots while repotting, just pot them up leaving 1/4 or 1/2 inch of the thicker end above the dirt. In 4 to 6 weeks, it will bud out and grow, if it will grow. My success is about 40%, the thicker the root the better the chances of getting growth.

I've also separated suckers off the main clump. Easy if you can take enough roots with it. Tricky if the sucker is on a root the main tree needs, then you have to treat it like a cutting.

I've done root cuttings with flowering quince, Ficus, Oriental bittersweet, ginkgo & dwarf citrus. It has a chance of working with just about any tree that is propagated by cuttings. Well worth giving it a try.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well worth giving it a try.

Good info! Thank you :) I just started goofing around with cuttings more and more. The root cuttings I have done as you described on Ficus and Serrisa which have a high success rate... Now to figure out Satsuki branch cuttings, tried several at different times this season with 0 success so far.

Grimmy

Top Bottom