Quince die back

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I think that for the quince, it could well be a fungal problem, as
Leo in N E Illinois said.

I had (I've had) similar problems with seedlings (looking for hybrids), and my friends told me it's better to repot in spring than in autumn so the chances that fungus can develop are lessened

Same for the hornbeam: there might be a problem with the soil too, any plant deficiency will make the tree more prone to get diseases.

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Shown here is new growth tips on my quince in the first photo. In the second is what the tip will become in 2-3 days. This bonsai usually blooms prolifically, but did not this spring. Has anyone else experienced this and have ideas for a solution?

View attachment 154761View attachment 154760

Seeing one tip of growth isn't a perfect way to tell, but quince are susceptible to tip blight.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

hamme1rl

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Shown here is new growth tips on my quince in the first photo. In the second is what the tip will become in 2-3 days. This bonsai usually blooms prolifically, but did not this spring. Has anyone else experienced this and have ideas for a solution?

View attachment 154761View attachment 154760
File Sep 08, 9 33 26 AM.jpeg Follow up on the Quince. As you can see its new growth is prolific and healthy. I moved out of heavy sun and it gets morning sun only and I reduced watering to every other day. Hornbeam is still healthy, but Beech will be an antifungal project for after fall drop and again in late spring. I think I'll try lime sulfur spray. Thanks everyone for the input.

Top Bottom