Quince.... is it a MUST to repot in early winter?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Articles seem contradictory. Some say spring, more say start of winter.
What does Bonsai Nut say?

I have one and only one. It must be potbound as it's in a very small pot.

:rolleyes:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I've had equal luck killing chojubai quince both after spring and fall repots so... :rolleyes:

In your climate (hot summers/mild short winters?), assuming we're discussing Japanese quince, you'd probably be good doing it any time from early fall into mid/late winter.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It’s can be all about nematodes in spring time. Yet..

cheers
DSD sends

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Articles seem contradictory. Some say spring, more say start of winter.
What does Bonsai Nut say?

I have one and only one. It must be potbound as it's in a very small pot.

:rolleyes:
I consider Michael Hagedorn to be the go to guy for Quince. He explains that the Japanese usually repot in the fall to avoid infection from nematodes.
( so this practice may be appropriate for one if the climate and conditions are similar with high risk of nematode infection)
His practice is to repot in the spring. He also advise less aggressive root work particularly for older plants. One tip that he mentions for extra care is to use the wedge replacement process as one would for satsuma azalea. They have similar root structure.
I have always repotted in the spring with no difficulty using Michaels approach after working with him and observing his techniques.
I am working with Dwarf Chojubai and the Toyo Nishiki Improved Quince.
When talking with others that have had difficulty it seemed to be caused by aggressive root work, using too shallow of containers and lack of winter protection if repotting in the fall particularly. Just notes from my experience.

scottschecter

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I consider Michael Hagedorn to be the go to guy for Quince. He explains that the Japanese usually repot in the fall to avoid infection from nematodes.
( so this practice may be appropriate for one if the climate and conditions are similar with high risk of nematode infection)
His practice is to repot in the spring. He also advise less aggressive root work particularly for older plants. One tip that he mentions for extra care is to use the wedge replacement process as one would for satsuma azalea. They have similar root structure.
I have always repotted in the spring with no difficulty using Michaels approach after working with him and observing his techniques.
I am working with Dwarf Chojubai and the Toyo Nishiki Improved Quince.
When talking with others that have had difficulty it seemed to be caused by aggressive root work, using too shallow of containers and lack of winter protection if repotting in the fall particularly. Just notes from my experience.
Michael has also been doing some Chojubai repotting in summer lately.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Michael has also been doing some Chojubai repotting in summer lately.
Its great to have options, post flowering is often a good time for certain species! His blog archives have a great amount of resource material on Quince and many other topics. His writing really conveys a passion and a high level of information at the same time. Really enjoy his creative design and styling of Bonsai.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Michael and Jonas have been doing spring/summer/fall repots. Jonas did an experiment with young chojubai in a summer repot, where he defoliated them at the same time vs a no defoliation group. The defoliated group perked up quicker, as the other group tend to yellow and replace some leaves.

I plan on repotting a few quinces I have soon, maybe I'll do 1/2 in the summer and the other 1/2 on fall and see which one works best for me. I repotted some chojubai in spring and they are doing fine so far. Not much root growth as I can see some movement with the wind ( I ended up relocating them between larger pots).

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Michael and Jonas have been doing spring/summer/fall repots. Jonas did an experiment with young chojubai in a summer repot, where he defoliated them at the same time vs a no defoliation group. The defoliated group perked up quicker, as the other group tend to yellow and replace some leaves.

I plan on repotting a few quinces I have soon, maybe I'll do 1/2 in the summer and the other 1/2 on fall and see which one works best for me. I repotted some chojubai in spring and they are doing fine so far. Not much root growth as I can see some movement with the wind ( I ended up relocating them between larger pots).
I repotted 14 quince this spring and they re all doing fine, did not skip a beat!

Top Bottom