Quince potato

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I bought a 7 dollar pink quince to play with and I found a potato beneath the surface.
IMG_20211009_094903.jpg

Is this potato something I can use? Should it be buried for a couple years? Can I keep it uncovered?
I know nothing about C. Japonica so I could use some advice on what to do with this.

I have no problems with turning it into a clump or whatever.. I'm fine with it getting bigger, also with keeping it as is.

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I would imagine the potato will eventually rot away. I have seen videos where people will use the potato for cuttings…suppose to help the cuttings. Always thought it was BS! Lol

I don’t know anything about the quince though.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks like a really good start for a really robust clump!

Your only challenge will be to keep the extensions down and foster more sprouting from the base. That’s supposed to be easy but 2 out of 5 of my quince don’t like to do this. …and I had to get the outliers!

Good Luck and Cheers!
DSD sends

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would imagine the potato will eventually rot away. I have seen videos where people will use the potato for cuttings…suppose to help the cuttings. Always thought it was BS! Lol

I don’t know anything about the quince though.
It's not a real potato, but a callous root that turned into a lump. Probably because they were propagated by cutting, possibly because there are some bacteria producing nodules because running roots show similar growths on random locations.
I know agrobacterium spp. can cause these kind of growths, as do some nitrifying bacteria.

Your only challenge will be to keep the extensions down and foster more sprouting from the base. That’s supposed to be easy but 2 out of 5 of my quince don’t like to do this. …and I had to get the outliers!
Right on top of that! I already trimmed the three extensions it has back to a couple nodes. But I'm not sure if this growth would benefit from being buried or if unearthing it would be more effective.
What's your take on this?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My gut tells me keeping the upper portion of the root ball moist, including the callus will foster growth.

The first thought is a thin layer of something like spagnum/fine bark.. or coir/bark. Second would be to just raise the medium. Either way it would be better to keep moist.

Another option, should this fail, would be in arch graft / ground layer into the callus….

I’ll be interested to see what pops up!

Cheers
DSD sends

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have some epibrassinolide lying around. This usually forces a plant (if it naturally can) to push some shoots from the base.
I'll give it a shot come spring. Cheers!
Is this like burl?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have some epibrassinolide lying around. This usually forces a plant (if it naturally can) to push some shoots from the base.
I'll give it a shot come spring. Cheers!
That's really interesting. I had to look that one up. It would be fun to carefully experiment with that substance.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Is this like burl?
In a sense, but burls to my knowledge are higher up a tree. But whatever causes it, can grow on/in roots as well as trunks and branches. In roots we rarely see this because they're almost always hidden under the surface.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That's really interesting. I had to look that one up. It would be fun to carefully experiment with that substance.
Most plants are entirely unaffected by it. But monocots and some plants that produce water-shoots or runners, suckers or whatever, can be susceptible too.

Top Bottom