Quince repot timing?

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Some say repot when the buds swell, early spring. But failure can be almost 50%.
Others like Valavanis, say autumn, after leaves fall.
So it is autumn here in the Southern Hemisphere, I have a couple of quinces in need of repotting, and no idea of what to do.
Wait or go for it?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Never heard of the 50% theory... my Chinese Quince was repotted prior to my purchase. But dated early spring for its repot. Purchased at New England Bonsai Garden.

Never repotted mine in the fall because of harsh winters. But respect Bill V.

Have heard if blooms appear before leaf then repot after blooming. Which I had done for a Japanese Quince. But believe I read fall repot can be done as well. Just chose spring.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Fall is the best time to repot Japanese quince. When repotted in the spring, they are susceptable to root nematodes. If your plants need a lot of root work, wait until the end of autumn but while the days are still above 50 F, and try to keep them from severe freezes. If your plants do not need much root work (already in good soil, growing healthily), you can repot at the beginning of autumn. This gives them time to get roots established before winter.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I repotted a Japanese quince this spring and it has struggled a little bit but overall is growing. I did a minimal amount of root reduction, probably 20-30%

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh, it was after its first big flush or flowers while leafing out. There was definitely a good amount of leafs on the plant though.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Some say repot when the buds swell, early spring. But failure can be almost 50%.
Others like Valavanis, say autumn, after leaves fall.
So it is autumn here in the Southern Hemisphere, I have a couple of quinces in need of repotting, and no idea of what to do.
Wait or go for it?
I like Aug/Sep best --> summer in the sense of between the summer solstice and the fall equinox. Dig 'em and/or repot 'em. Right after blooming is the absolute worst time, in my experience.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have repotted flowering quince, Chaenomeles, late winter, spring, middle of the summer, late summer, and autumn. Most of the time, no problem. Spring after flowering seems the worst time, I've had more problems repotting in spring. Late summer seems best, least number of problems.

So repot when you have time, it all can be made to work.

I do like repotting late summer, before the autumn equinox.

Top Bottom