Quince timing

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So I have a flowering quince that has been growing in the ground for several years. I want to dig it up to get the roots in shape, do some chopping and separate out the suckers.
The flower buds are swelling now. I seem to remember the leaves come after. I don't want to miss by prime digging time and have to wait another year.
Anyone have a suggestion as to the best time to do this for quince, and is the timing the same for other plants that are early flowering?
CW

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm no expert on quince, but to my logic they used stored energy to make flowers. And they can flower the entire winter over here - from october until late april.
I'd go for it. As a matter of fact, the quince I have, have all been repotted and hacked back two weeks ago.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
From the time the ground thaws enough to stick a shovel in to the ground, until leaves unfurl is the ideal window. Ignore the flowers.

If nematodes are an issue in your area, wait until the autumnal equinox. If nematodes are not a problem dig now in spring. If you never heard of nematodes, they are probably not a problem in your area. I'd dig this spring.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It has worked out better for me to do this and/or repotting in summer (i.e., after the summer solstice).

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A lot of the pros advocate fall repotting for quince. I tried a summer repot in 2019 for my quince and immediately following, all the leaves got crispy and fell off. Same thing happened with a firethorn. So I no longer do summer repots for any family Rosaceae species. I didn't have a greenhouse at the time, so inadequate aftercare probably contributed to the leaf fall. Fortunately both survived, but both were compromised. @Osoyoung, being in the coastal Pacific northwest with its milder summers, I suspect has a better climate for summer repots. Just know your local climate. I repot quince in the spring now, as buds swell. Mine started putting out some tiny leaves weekend before last, so I repotted and it seems happy.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I do mine in spring. If I was digging one, I’d do it now.

what regular nightly temperatures do you think are safe for repotting? Mine from International Bonsai came today but didn't have pots so I just potted them up now, otherwise I'd have probably waited a month.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
what regular nightly temperatures do you think are safe for repotting? Mine from International Bonsai came today but didn't have pots so I just potted them up now, otherwise I'd have probably waited a month.
I wouldn’t let them freeze at this point. I brought mine in after they started leafing out when we had a cold snap in the 20s.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I just realized this thread was about flowering quince specifically, not Chinese quince which is what I was talking about, despite having both. Whups.

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
What can you do with the roots on a Japanese Quince? Can you prune them fairly rigorously? It seems like flowering plants have frail roots. I picked one up from a nursery and want to get it in better soil and a different pot. BA4D5586-6CD1-48D5-B7AB-952F8E33D223.jpeg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I just realized this thread was about flowering quince specifically, not Chinese quince which is what I was talking about, despite having both. Whups.
Chinese quince I treat more gingerly than J. Quince when leafing out in the spring. I won’t let it freeze once buds open.

Top Bottom