Quince tree

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had one of these last year that I bought for my wife, which she killed, and it’s sad because it was a lot better looking. (I think, because this ones leaves look slightly different, look at this)
62B3FF39-8E72-42BB-85C5-4F83FC60FE23.jpeg
Here’s a beautiful silhouette pic of my stick
D8E375EB-9933-40DD-8D81-81BA85FACCB5.jpeg
Now I don’t want a tall skinny thing, but I noticed a tiny bud popping out at the 50th mm
0ADE517C-A5E5-42FE-B3E8-AB8D108DFEA3.jpeg
so I’m tempted as hell to whack/chop/layer, just above this bud so it can fit in with the rest of my Mame/shohin collection.
What do you guys think? Yay or nay?
Any suggestions welcome, except literati, not so keen on that.
TIA

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
At least give it a chance to get going a bit before layering/chopping. How about letting that little bud shoot and gain some strength then consider layer maybe later in spring.
Is it Japanese flowering quince (chaenomeles) or Chinese quince (pseudocydonia sinensis)? the former will usually sucker from the base of trunk and from the roots (which you can separate and grow new trees) but the Chinese quince does not do that.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Shibui Is it Japanese flowering quince (chaenomeles) or Chinese quince (pseudocydonia sinensis)?

I’m not sure, text was all in Chinese and I just went by the pic, last time it didn’t really translate to anything at all , so I’m kinda in for a bit of a surprise

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Bark looks more Chaenomeles than Pseudocydonia.

Top Bottom