Quince

robert gardner

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i just picked up a Double Take Scarlet QUINCE. It is about 8 inches tall twin trunk lots of movement I want to know are these a good project to
form into a medium size Bonsai. It has nice branching now. Also I picked up a Sorbaria sorbifolia Sem fales Spirea and would like to turn it
into a meium size Bonsai. Any help would be great.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Japanese flowering quince can make excellent bonsai, but other flowers and branching you need interesting roots or trunks. Do a search and take a look at some flowering quince threads already on the forum to see what I mean and what you think is possible for your tree.

robert gardner

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for your reply to my question. This Quince has a small but interesting trunk as for the roots having just gotten it I haven't been able
to take it out of its pot as the rain is just poring down. As soon as I am able to work around it I will look for some larger roots.
When I re pot it I will place it on a 4 inch tile to get flatter root spread. I have been tying to find pictures of Quince bonsai with no
luck. Will try looking thru Bonsai Nut now.
Thanks for all.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The Double Take likely does not have any interesting roots or trunk if it is fairly young. It will take a long time to develop as is. I love the flowers, and would graft it to other quince that thicken faster. I love the flowers on any of the Double Takes.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm not sure if mine is a Double Take as I got it when I was 22 but it's thornless and has double flowers. They thicken at a snail's pace and need judicious wiring to create movement as their natural growth pattern is to throw straight canes. Apical growth tends to be weaker than basally. Here is mine before I moved it into a proper pot. They are resilient, easy to grow and free flowering as bonsai.

IMG_20170507_153339064_HDR_zpsqkzct1dv.jpg

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have been tying to find pictures of Quince bonsai with no
Thanks for all.
Try googling “quince bonsai”, then clicking the “Images” tab.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for your reply to my question. This Quince has a small but interesting trunk as for the roots having just gotten it I haven't been able
to take it out of its pot as the rain is just poring down. As soon as I am able to work around it I will look for some larger roots.
When I re pot it I will place it on a 4 inch tile to get flatter root spread. I have been tying to find pictures of Quince bonsai with no
Thanks for all.

Flowering quince is very common as bonsai, can't believe you are not finding photos. Use the correct botanical name to avoid clutter from other genus also called "quince".

Chaenomeles = Japanese flowering quince, often used as bonsai. Tend to be multiple trunk shrubs, as bonsai used more often for clump and multiple trunk styles.

Cydonia = European quince, culinary fruit tree, very rarely used as bonsai, very different growth habit from above, more like an apple tree.

Pseudocydonia = Chinese quince, occasionally used as bonsai. Used as culinary fruit tree. Growth habit is intermediate between Chaenomeles and Cydonia. When used as bonsai usually used as single trunk medium to large size bonsai.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Top Bottom