R on R Larch Project

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Seems the first thing in spring that demands attention here are the Larch. They are the first to break dormancy and the window to work on them is short. So as my old coworker in the Appalachians used to say, "Better git it while the gittin's good". Here is a group planting of Japanese Larch that languished at the end of the bench. One tree died a while back so it sat until I decided to break it up and start a rock planting with 3 of them.IMG_1319.JPG I ended up using the rock on the far right for the planting.
All I did so far is position and angle the trunks when planted. IMG_1326.JPG No pruning, no styling. Just let em have a good season of growth and really attach to the rock before doing anything else.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is a really evocative image. The wild windswept larch work wonderfully with that rock. Looks like something you might see on a rocky ridge in northern Canada. I dig it.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
I let the planting grow unchecked this year. Late summer, the wiring was removed. There was some rebounding as I didn’t give the wire quite enough time to bit in and scar a little more. Two biggest problems.. the thinnest tree on the right is also possibly the tallest. The center tree simply sulked this year. Not even a 1/2” of growth while the other 2 trees put 3-6” of growth on. F9FB85FC-D33E-47FA-AEDA-26863706918F.jpeg I ended up reducing the height of the right tree. The center tree I didn’t touch. It has a lot of buds so hoping it will take off next season. Left tree I’m not totally happy with. A little more tweaking needed. C4856980-71D5-42A1-BCCF-DF9BD2248F2C.jpeg

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
The current look lost some of that windy feel it had in post #3.

Looking forward to see what happens next year.
I agree. It has lost something. I need to recapture it.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
I agree. It has lost something. I need to recapture it.
I think that right tree is good but the two left trees need some feel. I think when it had less branches and ramification it was easier to feel it. Now it’s beginning to get more bushy and feels round. Stay with it those are cool trees.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The center tree simply sulked this year...
Cool project.

Two possibilities, the center tree has to compete for root space with the trees on the right and left. And looking at the rock profile... it's growing on the top of a hill, at least optically, so better targeted watering may help. Looking forward for updates.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Just a quick update. A little improvement over last year. I put fertilizer right around the middle tree and got better response last season. I was able to get wire back on it and put more movement in. The far left tree got a bit of thinning and I focused on more bends in several straight areas. I feel it is still too course and will continue working on that.

12E21DEE-CBBD-4692-9EBC-B3F109834AC0.jpeg

Top Bottom