R0CKY MT DOUGLAS FIR

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I see some Rocky Mt Douglas Fir seedlings down at the nursery today. Has anyone tried these and how are they different from the Std Doug fir I have native around here?. They are all just 6-8" straight sticks with needles all the way from the bottom to the top and a number of buds along the way also.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Rocky Mountain variety is a somewhat smaller tree with shorter blue green needles and smaller cones than the Coast form. Probably the better candidate for bonsai training.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As RKatzin tells these most used of the two for Bonsai as much more found as Yamadori and is said these somewhat more compact growing. Personally working on volunteer of coastal variety have had since about 2006 when sprouted in a pot. No complaint about foliage as is still shorter than any personally known Pine☺️.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Do they sell this variety in nurseries?

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've never looked for them around S. Oregon, but I believe our club prez has some in his collection. I'll have a look see next time I'm down in the world. I also think I've seen them at forestfarm nursery which is close to me.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was able to confirm that these are offered at forestfarm.com. starting at about $15. A wonderful place to do business.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I would just stick with the native ones, you seem to get your hands on good material…I’d say the $15 bucks is better spent on gas money.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No complaint about foliage as is still shorter than any personally known Pine☺️.
Agreed. They are also very hardy, take a lot of abuse and are very easy from seed. It's actually becoming one of my favorite bonsai conifers.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes, that Douglas fir, which needs solidly cold winters to thrive, is the real reason that I okayed the move to Michigan… Don’t tell my wife👍😬
Everything for the 'children' phrase comes to mind.

Top Bottom