Rabbit’s Foot Acacia black leaves.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
SCIENTIFIC NAME: Dichrostachys cinerea syn.Vachellia cornigera

I read that this tree is semi-deciduous & have noticed some leaves turning yellow & falling off this winter, and didn't think much of it since that would happen with semi-deciduous. Are the black leaves what happens before they turn yellow and I'm just now noticing? The tree looks healthy despite these pics and has several areas of new growth. Thoughts?

RFA_122222.JPG
RFA2_122222.JPG

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I don't know about the black leaves. I had one and it grew super straggly no matter how much I trimmed it back and the bark started falling off. I bought it because of the cool looking flowers but once winter came, it just didn't make the cut to come inside.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't know about the black leaves. I had one and it grew super straggly no matter how much I trimmed it back and the bark started falling off. I bought it because of the cool looking flowers but once winter came, it just didn't make the cut to come inside.
Maybe you should add Murderer to your user name. 😇

I've only had it since October 6th so all the changes are new to me.

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Here in Florida mine lost its leaves from the top down and now it’s getting new growth from the bottom up. Strange.
I don’t remember black leaves, I went out to take a look it is all new growth now. Took a picture while I was out.
5BD94B09-13AC-4E1B-AAA5-8A6B51B8EA85.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here in Florida mine lost its leaves from the top down and now it’s getting new growth from the bottom up. Strange.
I don’t remember black leaves, I went out to take a look it is all new growth now. Took a picture while I was out.
View attachment 466306
At first I thought it was getting too much light (too many hours 13) then I saw the species is from Africa & dismissed that idea. Nice tree. :)

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
At first I thought it was getting too much light (too many hours 13) then I saw the species is from Africa & dismissed that idea. Nice tree. :)
How's your tree doing? Mine still doesn't seem to want to grow an apex. Healthy lower branches though.IMG_0777.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How's your tree doing? Mine still doesn't seem to want to grow an apex. Healthy lower branches though.View attachment 489342
Mine is still alive, and looks decent but I've been battling pests, thrips, to be exact so it's dropped it leaves twice over the winter, and is just now starting to get back to healthy. The black leaves in the original post was the Thrips doing that damage. Live and Learn.

Most of my growth is at the Apex, but I don't have, nor have I ever had the cool flowers like yours! You should post pictures of those flowers in the Flower Thread. Super cool. Are the purple flowers the new ones and then they turn white/yellow?

Here's my stick in pot.
1684608776406.png

1684608920512.png

I'm not trimming until I get a flower. :)

Top Bottom