Radialayer™ a season saver.

bonsairxmd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes. I just used the tm symbol for kicks. Now, after a phone update. That's over! My licencing ran out lol!

It is Oatey plumbers putty. Mold resistant qualities. I've used it for cut paste.

No roots yet.

Anthony. I actually put one tiny cutting in a bonsai pot,(6in round 1in deep) ficus Ben, and I am amazed at the thickening of the base and lower trunk.

Nothing like it in deeper pots.

Sorce

So the roots push through that plumbers putty or only form below it? No rooting hormone used?

Thanks

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's how you do it! The next year you will be patting this year's you on the back!
Next year's you should shorten them by another half of what this year's you left.

Try that 5 times fast!

If those roots were as healthy as yours, next year's me wouldn't have to pull last year's me's foot out of his ass!

I hope to get good healthy ram this year to do just that!

Thanks

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So the roots push through that plumbers putty or only form below it? No rooting hormone used?

Thanks

The putty only holds up the disc and the container. It actually serves as a bit more of a barrier from downward growth, although they could grow through it I reckon, they haven't yet.

On the ground layered elm, no putty was used.

I sniff a line of root powder while I do this, but that's all I've found it necessary for, and even that, everyone tells me, is quite unnecessary.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you were really to snort that stuff you would probably have cancer within a month. Highly carcinogenic stuff. Shouldn't even get it on your hands.

Damn.

I'm throwing it out!

Sorce

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
here's a question i've never found an answer for...what is the advantage of doing air layers vs hardwood cuttings? Do any nutrients go through the wood that's not hacked off on an air layer?

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
and also, what is your cutoff dates for doing air layers? post frosty period to mid summer?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No luck. Skill! ;)

Here's the last one.
A pomegranate. Removed fall.
On a seedling twig for S&G.
20150426_123530.jpg

It's kind of one sided. You can make out the white wire around the twig.20150426_123739.jpg
Again fully dead so it fell off, real easy. I snipped the roots back to the disk rim.20150426_124235.jpg

And left the disk on this one, buried it like so.20150426_124432.jpg

It sat so small and flat it fit in this 3in terra cotta saucer.20150426_124132.jpg

This one is kind of lame.
But overall. I'm satisfied with these results and can't wait, "Till the leaves harden!"

Don't put that ketchup on a hot dog ya feel me!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
here's a question i've never found an answer for...what is the advantage of doing air layers vs hardwood cuttings? Do any nutrients go through the wood that's not hacked off on an air layer?

I'm all for an airlayer. A drive by cutting may be worth taking, but a good a\l gets a good root start. Almost always.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
and also, what is your cutoff dates for doing air layers? post frosty period to mid summer?

I'll never leave another elm (or anything) in moss over winter. I'm bout to do mine in a month or 2 and off them 2-4 weeks later. Maybe more. I will post em.

Post yours too! Its good to have the start and end dates saved!

Sorce

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
that's a good idea

how do you know how deep to make your cuts? I know there's the outer bark, then you cut away the next layer that's green, and the harder layer under that you keep right?

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
good God, b-nut is awesome...honestly it is at least as helpful as the local bonsai club...and the most I read/post the more it tips the scales in favor of this website

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
makes me not understand that guy who was all like "i want my profile removed from the website...wah wah wah"

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
that's a good idea

how do you know how deep to make your cuts? I know there's the outer bark, then you cut away the next layer that's green, and the harder layer under that you keep right?

I saw a dude whittle down to a cartoon Apple core )( . Some folk use alcohol to kill the remaining cambium.

I cut into it good. Both top and bottom. And scrape the bark DOWN. So as to keep the top edge real defined. When it's not slimy, you went far enough.

Just remember to chop your Sphagnum fine, so a rinse can get it off. And prethink a peekhole, so when you get curious, you don't have to rewrap the whole thing!

Sorce

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
OK...here's my radialayers...i did one elm with the traditional air layer method with moss+foil, and then two "radialayers"...I used plastic ham containers and just transferred the ham to a plastic zip bag...wonder if my wife will notice...

I cut the lids so that they fit inside the ham container. The lids aren't SUPER flush with the tree, but as long as the moss is on top it and it has more room to grow that way, I should get SOME if not MOST of the roots going that direction...The bottom layer was a mix of horticultural vermiculite, high quality inorganic bonsai soil mix, and sphagnum moss. I drilled a hole in the bottom of both containers since they are not perfectly level (the part that points downward is the part that water would pool in the container, so I just gave it a little way out. I am actually happy that the containers aren't level, I'm trying to not only get radial roots, but position the tree to be SLANTED + get radial roots. If sorce does this to get what he wants faster, I figured I might as well do this to get what I want faster too. Bendy twisty trunks make erb a happy bonsai master :)

without further delay, here are the pics. great idea sorce...i'll post updates in about a month

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
before pics....that straight middle trunk/branch on my yatsubusa was competing for the focal point and was distracting...has to go....into another bonsai pot!

Attachments

• IMG_9815.jpg
    IMG_9815.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_9814.jpg
    IMG_9814.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_9816.jpg
    IMG_9816.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_9817.jpg
    IMG_9817.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_9820.jpg
    IMG_9820.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 253

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
scraping away to air layer...I don't think I cut too deep on any of my trees...at least not all the way around. i can smell the ham still...ham hands ham hands!

Attachments

• IMG_9821.jpg
    IMG_9821.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_9825.jpg
    IMG_9825.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_9827.jpg
    IMG_9827.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_9827.jpg
    IMG_9827.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_9828.jpg
    IMG_9828.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 278

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
used the duck tape that fell in the washer...still good!

Attachments

• IMG_9829.jpg
    IMG_9829.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_9830.jpg
    IMG_9830.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_9831.jpg
    IMG_9831.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_9831.jpg
    IMG_9831.jpg