Radialayer™ a season saver.

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm afraid the reservoirs are a problem because the roots will run into them, then when the container is opened they are at risk of damage. Obviously, I bought them anyway so I see the potential and figured they were worth trying. Looking forward to comparing notes.
They work. No problems with roots damage.
Cherry Blossom from last year.
20180802_060303.jpg

Reactions: Meh

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
@R3x the Radialdisk is the 3rd layer...

This commercial unit has a top and a bottom, it's for regular propagation.

The Radialdisk is what keeps your roots going outward...not down.
Bonsai propagation.

I don't know when who thought what...
I hope ot doesn't seem that way!

But I have never seen anything but bags and foil before this, unfortunately, most bonsai folks (except a select few here)still just propagate for bonsai like a Damn fruit grafter....
And by fruit grafter I mean......lol!

Sorce
Will read it again and try to pay more attention. Last year I was airlayering a branch from very old pear - it's all corky and scaly - will provide photo tomorrow. Was using plastic bag. It eventually worked but this device looked it could make thing easier. As I wrote: bought these to try rooting Ume(s). I would consider myself lucky if they rooted. Having radial roots would be plus but first I need Ume(s) on their own roots.

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
OK, here's few photos of my successful airlayering (albeit without Radialayer(TM)) just for illustration. While doing the layer I was using plastic bag and struggling with birds trying to get into it, checking the level of moisture, etc... However it seems the goal was met and the tree grows. Planning for it to be more penjing / literati style - tall and slender. Currently it has piece of board attached on the bottom to keep it stabilized until the roots get stronger. Also it is leaning on the wall to get more stability. Will resolve these with shallower and heavier pot in the future.
DSC_0077.JPGDSC_0078.JPGDSC_0079.JPG

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
That is a wicked dope shape!

Ignorant straight with that swoop...
Kill!

Nice.

Sorce
Thanx. It's originally been more or less horizontal branch. So the (sub)branches were going totally different directions. When the tree recuperates and starts growing I am planning on using and extending these strange movements. It had flowers but I cut off all of them to let the tree gain vigor and grow more roots. In few years I guess this could be nice.

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What is a radialdisc, for us living outside the US?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What is a radialdisc, for us living outside the US?

The blue plastic in these photos.

It's like a tile or a board just on an airlayer.

Sorce

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
Results of an air layer with a radialayer(tm) on a Japanese maple. Just separated. Couldn't ask for a better start.
I should have added--thanks @sorce for the great idea. It really did save a year.

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The blue plastic in these photos.

It's like a tile or a board just on an airlayer.

Sorce
I seen the pictures. I was just wondering what the blue thing was. Now you tell me it's plastic and one can use a tile or board also. Thank you.

What did you use @Zach2 ? It looks promising!

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
The putty only holds up the disc and the container. It actually serves as a bit more of a barrier from downward growth, although they could grow through it I reckon, they haven't yet.

On the ground layered elm, no putty was used.

I sniff a line of root powder while I do this, but that's all I've found it necessary for, and even that, everyone tells me, is quite unnecessary.

Sorce
Sorce sometimes I don’t know if you’re giving advice or screwing with us with waning moons, heat to do root work, and now snorting root powder! You crack me up. The disk thing is something I’ve been considering as a total noob not knowing what will and won’t work.

Another thought I had after this was split a bottle in half (you pick type) cut the neck off to fit right below cut and use it in lieu of container. Then pack sphagnum around bottle neck. In my head, not tested yet it would make horizontal air layering a even easier and function on vertical just as easy. Maybe my idea is insane. Or maybe reversing the bottle makes more sense and use the bottom to shape roots. Coke/Pepsi should give 5 evenly spaced clusters that will probably merge together. Gatorade etc would just be discs. Perhaps you have insight on my idea @sorce?

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Don't use her good stuff!
I was thinking today about using a colander.
Maybe a round cake container or the like for something so big.
Just use the same lid for the disc.

I wish you the best!

Sorce
Ooooh Tupperware using its lid would streamline. Would you cut extra holes radially around trunk in lid? Or just leave it sealed? In which case why bother with bottom just use disk and moss above and below to support wrap.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
you cut extra holes radially around trunk in lid?

The lid as a RadialDisk no.

Maybe the lid as a lid but not if it would dry too fast.

Sorce sometimes I don’t know if you’re giving advice or screwing with us with waning moons,

I don't observe things only I can observe! 😉

Sorce

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
The lid as a RadialDisk no.

Maybe the lid as a lid but not if it would dry too fast.

I don't observe things only I can observe! 😉

Sorce
Again it may be screwing with me but I believe you’re right about the waning moon thing based on the almanac. I know you cut a path through waist high grass at a “good” time then come back and mow the whole area at a “bad” time and the “path” will grow back at a slower rate. It’s true, crazy as that sounds to most people, we did it as an experiment at work. Cut the path to see if it grew slower, couldn’t tell, mowed the super fast growing grass a couple weeks later and when the grass was knee high you could see the trail still at inches. Hypothetically everyone wondering about shrinking foliage should look into this. I only have a few examples in my life, but the almanac systems have been backed by science too many times to discount everything in them.

On the lid idea I know it’s yours but I’m not sure I’m explaining correctly. If you wrap everything in plastic when you’re done then putting sphagnum above lid and using lid to train seems to make sense as I see it in my head. Think of the image with the pot shards holding sphagnum above The disk above the soil. That all got wrapped I believe? Why not skip the shards and just wrap it up tight against lid of a tupperware instead of adding the disk? I asked about additional holes because I wasn’t sure if the reason for the lower tupperware section except to provide somewhere for roots to wind up after radiating out and to store moisture?

edit spelling and clarity

Last edited:
Top Bottom