radiata pine bark

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Does anybody have experience with using Radiata bark or any info on sourcing in quantity? Please share.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I use it in my orchids. And bonsai. But it has been pricey to source, so it is mostly for orchid use.

Orchiata is the brand name of the radiata pine bark I do use. It is actually imported from New Zealand. Hence, because it is imported it is not cheap. It beaks down much more slowly than douglas fir bark (generic fir bark). For orchids fir bark begins turning to mulch by year 3. Radiata pine bark lasts at least 5 or 6 years before beginning to break down. It holds less water than fir bark. It is a good particle to add to a mix if you want a long lasting particle.

The "acidifying effect" of decomposing bark kicks in rapidly with fir bark, with radiata bark, this begins a year or two later. Radiata bark that is more than 4 years old has the same acidifying effect in media as fir bark that is only 2 years old.

So all in all, good stuff, especially for a tree you do not want to repot very often. FOr a mix that lasts 5 to 10 years between repotting, I would definitely use radiata pine bark.

I pick mine up from Orchids by Hausermann, but they are only a one hour drive from my home. They do mail order, but the mail order expense might be more than you want. If you visit CHicago area, you can stock up on your return trip. Call Hausermann's if you don't see it on the website. Tell them Leo sent you. It won't get you a discount, but it will "break the ice.".

First Ray's Orchid Supplies - Ray's business is mail order orientated. Again shipping will be the big expense. He always has Radiata in stock, though his package sizes are geared toward the smaller hobby grower.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hahahahahaha!

Did I actually come here to find out who the one person to know about a certain frikking pine bark is?

Lol!

Bravo Leo Bravo!

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I forgot,
I know Minneapolis is quite a distance from Duluth MN, (170 miles or so) but if your business travels ever take you to Minneapolis. Orchids Limited in Plymouth MN is another Orchid greenhouse that should normally stock Orchiata - radiata pine bark. Give them a call, see what size packages they carry it in. The owner Jerry Fisher, knows me pretty well, the son Jason Fisher might remember me, might not. Either way, my name won't get you a discount, but will get a discussion started about "the fat guy who laughs loud". Picking it up in Minneapolis is probably cheaper than having it shipped from Chicago, or the East Coast.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hahahahahaha!

Did I actually come here to find out who the one person to know about a certain frikking pine bark is?

Lol!

Bravo Leo Bravo!

Sorce
If I were half as smart I could take over the world.

Top Bottom