Raffia created equally?

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hey guys I’m looking to buy some raffia wires. Has anyone used this product or know if it will achieve similar outcomes? I think not, but it would be nice. I feel like it will be less of a tangled mess with this product. Let me know what y’all think, thanks in advance

Attachments

• 3D15EFAC-8EF5-44C5-A755-A1B7D1DA1D66.png
    3D15EFAC-8EF5-44C5-A755-A1B7D1DA1D66.png
    105.8 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
It said color natural but not the material what is made off.. 🤷‍♂️ is a natural fiber? is plastic?

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Raffia paper. I don’t think it’s the same thing anymore. They have a few raffia products on Amazon.

Attachments

• B36F1077-9218-43D4-8D14-AF115C0D1808.png
    B36F1077-9218-43D4-8D14-AF115C0D1808.png
    69.1 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
If you cant get natural raffia I would go for some synthetic more elastic material, paper I dont think will last or be much flexible

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey guys I’m looking to buy some raffia wires. Has anyone used this product or know if it will achieve similar outcomes? I think not, but it would be nice. I feel like it will be less of a tangled mess with this product. Let me know what y’all think, thanks in advance
I dont think the product you posted will work like the regular natural raffia does.
This is what you want:

In case you dont know how its used: You take 5-6 strands and tie them together with a knot on one end
Then wrap the bundle of strands up in a coil to keep it neater and then soak it in water for at least an hour.
Then take each bundle of strands and wrap that around your branch, The last wrap, you fold under the one before it to secure it then continue wrapping with another set of strands overlapping the end of the first one just a bit for continuity

Last edited:

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I dont think the product you posted will work like the regular natural raffia does.
This is what you want:

In case you dont know how its used: You take 5-6 strands and tie them together with a knot on one end
Then wrap the bundle of strands up in a coil to keep it neater and then soak it in water for at least an hour.
Then take each bundle of strands and wrap that around your branch, The last wrap, you fold under the one before it to secure it then continue wrapping with another set of strands overlapping the end of the first one just a bit for continuity

Got you, thank you and I appreciate the help!

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I no longer use raffia. Industrial strength paper towels and electrical tape is much, much easier.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Got you, thank you and I appreciate the help!
Raffia is a hassle to use. Depending on what kind of tree you're using it on, self-adhesive medical/sports tape works just as well (if not better, since it's a lot easier to use--no knotting, wetting, etc.)

Coban self-adhesive compression bandage, or veterinary tape (same stuff) is used by a lot of folks. Works well on smooth barked species, It can work on cork bark, but it can chip the bark off. Raffia can do that too, however. The disadvantage of the compression tape is that it doesn't decompose like raffia over time (although direct sun can accelerate the process).

Top Bottom