Raffia vs Jute ?

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've never used raffia before and have a few orphans that will require some major bending.
The technique will be to wrap the selected trunk/branch. Wrap with the jute/raffia, bend (2) pieces of appropriate wire on the sides of the bend and wrap with an outer layer of jute/raffia. Bend. Cool?

I have a surplus of jute twine. I soaked it for a couple hours in a bath of warm water. It was pretty supple. (Did I just use the word supple?!!)

I saw where someone used bicycle innertubes, but was concerned with the moisture in the wrap.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good question. The raffia twnds to make wider sheets when wraped that prevent the bark separating from the cambrian. Jute twine will do this too but is less effective. I have used both as well as electrical tape. In my experience raffia is by far the best.
Bicycle tubing may cause problems especially if you have high humidity in your area

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Bicycle inner tire and jute were too wet for my conditions. Or at least.. The rubber didn't breathe a lot and water was trapped underneath. The wrapped junipers started producing roots on the trunk due to the humidity.

Top Bottom