Raffia

Gatorade

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Is all raffia the same? want To attempt some major bends, just wondering if there is a difference in the raffia available to purchase? Because it all looks the same to me. Where do y’all get your raffia. Thanks

Attachments

• 75D68890-80B1-4F2A-A156-098D25EE8855.png
    75D68890-80B1-4F2A-A156-098D25EE8855.png
    183.2 KB · Views: 19
  • DE22D63D-22F6-419E-A21E-2EFE6E714CEB.png
    DE22D63D-22F6-419E-A21E-2EFE6E714CEB.png
    114.7 KB · Views: 19

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I got my raffia from Michael’s. If there’s a difference between what craft stores sell and what is sold specifically for the bonsai market, I’d also like to hear what it is. The stuff I got from the craft store seems to work well enough for branch bending.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I also see some people use electrical tape so I tried it in my last major bend couple weeks ago works great but its only been a couple weeks so we will see.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Raffia is raffia. Get it wherever you can.

Avoid the colored stuff that some craft shops stock. The dyes are not waterproof so it will stain your hands when you wet it and stain your trees when you water - unless you particularly want a red trunk, or blue???

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I also see some people use electrical tape so I tried it in my last major bend couple weeks ago works great but its only been a couple weeks so we will see.
The argument I've heard against electrical tape it's that it doesn't breath, so could trap moisture underneath.

If you try it, make sure to do the first layer sticky side out, then a second layer sticky in. Don't want to rip that bark off (I used it for my first couple apple tree grafts years ago, and it ripped some bark off - then actually purchased grafting tape - my apple tree now has 8 varieties on it).

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The few people I have seen use electrical tape us it over raffia, never seen anybody using it against the tree bark. Also, it is not regular electrical tape, it's rubber splicing tape. Not the same at all, electrical tape will start oozing adhesive when the sun heats it, splicing tape wont. Also, splicing tape is applied like you would apply grafting tape, by stretching it giving you more control.

Harry Harrington uses veterinary tape.

Vet tape Harry.JPG

Vet tape Harry1.JPG

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Coban is the veterinary tape, mostly the same stuff as the sports wrap. It has no adhesive, it sticks to itself and is easier on the bark than sticky tape.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good to know. I was planning on trying that stuff at some point. seems easier to get than raffia
I used it once and it left a white sticky mess on the bark behind impossible to remove until it eventually wore off with age a season later. It degraded and came off one thread at a time too when removing.
Maybe for a short term application but... Mine came from Rite-Aid

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
The vet wrap/self sticking sports tape is easier to apply then rafia and gets the job done but degrades in the sun to one solid mass that will need a razor blade- same as rafia- to remove once the bend has set. For older pines with mature bark, there will be some damage- just like rafia- but there will also be small remnants of the wrap left behind that will require either a tooth pick to removes or another year in the sun to fall away. Generally, trees requiring this kind of treatment are years away from being show ready, so I'm ok with it.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Anyone ever try using soft rubber-cushioned wire before, like this? Less for HEAVY bends and more for delicate bark
I haven't used that product, specifically. However, I have slipped 2.5 mm aluminum wire into aquarium tubing and used that to wire some branches on a maple. Just did it recently, though, so the results aren't in yet.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone ever try using soft rubber-cushioned wire before, like this? Less for HEAVY bends and more for delicate bark
I have a few coils of this stuff laying around. The wire inside is steel of course, so I do not use it for regular wiring. But I do use it sometimes for tension wires to reduce biting in. The rubber on it deteriorates fast though

Top Bottom