Raiding the nursery again - Cryptomeria Japonica / Picea Pungens

Grimberian

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi folks :)

Seems I am unable to resist buying random nursery stock these days, but there we go, can't resist a cheap tree.
I quote enjoy playing around with cheap material while I am learning, and today I picked up these two trees:

Cryptomeria Japonica 'Sekkan Sugi'
IMG_2834.jpeg

Picea Pungens 'Super Blue'

IMG_2837.jpeg

IMG_2838.jpeg

As I am not entirely familiar with spruces yet, I am just checking - the buds on the Picea branches (and around the leader) - these will presumably become new branches next year?
And the Cryptomeria - would you do much with it currently, or just transplant it into a better pot / growing basket, and leave it be until next year?

Any other advice regarding styling etc gratefully accepted 👍

All the best!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This time of year do nothing. No repot! Should let trunks apex grow until trunks big as desired 3-5" at least😁. Late Winter could put bends in lowest section of trunks.

Grimberian

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you :)
I have left them both as is, just cleaned out some of the dead brown branches from inside the spruce. Nice to have a project for next year to think about!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The picea its grafted? has a weird bulky spot in the trunk
Notice needles below/above bulge are same? Bulge appears as some kind of gall/bug damage. Can be removed when upper boring straight trunk removed;)after trunk grown out.

Top Bottom