Rain tree and Fig Tree suggestions?

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Rain tree and Fig Tree suggestions? Photos Updated

I picked up these two trees. They have grown a good bit. Can anyone advise trimming and wiring on these?

When do I need to stop or start trimming.

Add these photos. Sorry it was really early when I took them. I do not have the best camera.

Ones a Brazilian Rain Tree
trees013-1-1.jpg

trees013.jpg

trees012.jpg

trees004-1.jpg

trees014-1.jpg

Second one is a Ficus Burtt-Davy.
trees008-1.jpg

trees011-1-1.jpg

trees012-1-1.jpg

trees015.jpg

trees014.jpg

trees016.jpg

Last edited:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Can you get pictures against a plain background please? It all blends.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
The updates photos aren't showing up for me, but I can see enough on the originals to offer a couple of thoughts.

First, have you decided how big you want these to be when finished? Even deciding on a size range (for example, "18-24 inches,") will help you make some decisions.

Second, your veldt fig (Ficus burtt-davyi) is quite tall for its girth. It also has that low branch. You could air-layer just above that branch and end up with two fig trees to play with. Most Ficus species air-layers easily.

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
sorry about the additional photos. I post below. I think the 12-16 inch range is what I am looking at.
trees013-1-1.jpg

trees014-1.jpg

How about the BRT?

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
hi there,i would wait for spring + cut your ficus right down.here are a few of my burtt davy-nothing special but here goes.They make awesome aerial roots...

Attachments

• IMG_0967.JPG
    IMG_0967.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0964.JPG
    IMG_0964.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0965.JPG
    IMG_0965.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 31

sammiboii

Sapling
Reaction score
The updates photos aren't showing up for me, but I can see enough on the originals to offer a couple of thoughts.

First, have you decided how big you want these to be when finished? Even deciding on a size range (for example, "18-24 inches,") will help you make some decisions.

Second, your veldt fig (Ficus burtt-davyi) is quite tall for its girth. It also has that low branch. You could air-layer just above that branch and end up with two fig trees to play with. Most Ficus species air-layers easily.

I second his opinion. Deciding on how big you want the tree will definitely tighten your options. I think raintrees are some of the best species for bonsai. You could do a Pierneef style tree or umbrella style tree, or you could do a tree like Budi Sulistyo did, which is kind of like an oak style, I guess one might call it that.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=budi+sulistyo+raintree&um=1&hl=en&sa=X&tbs=isz:l&tbm=isch&tbnid=GD57FYEjjD9vNM:&imgrefurl=http://budi-sulistyo.ofbonsai.org/2011/04/26/brazilian-rain-tree/&docid=9Et5cgldlqgTzM&w=2568&h=2036&ei=VeFnTrSgD8HZgQfc-f3JDA&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=222&page=1&tbnh=139&tbnw=175&start=0&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=126&ty=56&biw=1440&bih=785

http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t7670-pierneef-flat-top-rain-tree-discouragement

Top Bottom