Rain Tree Identification...

Random User

Reaction score
... so I spent the afternoon listening to the Jays/Royals game while I sifted through the old posts on BRTs.

There was always one question about mine that I had in the back of my mind regarding the possibility that I might have cuttings from more than one tree (re: flowering and non-flowering types) because they tend to have different growth habits.

Deep into the archives I found an old thread where this link came from, and if you look on the last page it shows the difference between the leaves on these two types. IMO, I have only the non-flowering type. I thought someone else might have the same questions, and that they may find this information useful. (I don't think re-posting the link would be a copyright infringement in any way, because the document is shown in it's entirety)

http://www.bonsaisocietyofmiami.org/articles/Brazilian Raintree by the two Jims.pdf

The other little bit of info that I found interesting, was that only 10% of the softwood cuttings are sucessful... this is something that I was wondering about because I haven't been able to get one to take... yet the airliner that I did was separated in about 5 weeks. I, however would not recommend this as normal practice... since the top has stalled since the separation (10 weeks or more) and is just now beginning to throw new shoots.

At some point before I got the plant, it had fallen over and had been tossed back into the pot with a hand full of substrate... it was at a weird angle and I wanted to save the lowest branch on the trunk, which was jammed against the edge of the pot... and I knew that the top had to come off anyway. Now, with a little bit of experience with these plants, I would do the same thing, but at a much slower pace... live and learn.

Top Bottom