Raintrees!!!

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
I picked up two BRTs today and can't wait to get at them! Some of you guys are design experts, and have given me great advice in the past.

The first one, the tall one, I'm thinking an informal upright cut in a canopy-type style. The lowest branch will be a sacrifice branch. That's my initial thought without studying the tree longer. The second one looks already slanted, so I'll just let this one do what it wants.

I'm very excited about them!

Edited the pics for a better angle one.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    323.6 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_3130.JPG
    IMG_3130.JPG
    331.8 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Can you post a pic of the slanting one from the right angle? LOL
My brain is trying to sort it out from that pic. I think the correct angle on that one could make for an interesting tree.

I have a few of these. The key to keeping them at their size and to have nice tight foliage is to keep them trimmed unless you are trying to thicken a branch.
You see on your first one all those thin branches at the top with the long internodes? Trim them back.
Also any time you trim a branch, leave a stub because it will die back to the last internode.
If you dont keep them regularly trimmed, they will quickly get out of hand.

Here are a couple of mine that I just repotted a month ago. Both could still use a bit more trimming but I gave them a bit of a break because I had just repotted them...lol
The second one is about 20 years old

August2016_1_small.jpg August2016_small.jpg

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna do a little clipping and cleaning on Monday. Plus, they look pretty root bound in the small containers they are in. I'll need to report them, the soil in the smaller one is starting to split from the edges of the container.

I'm pretty useless when it comes to taking pics. Here is a better one.

Attachments

• IMG_3130.JPG
    IMG_3130.JPG
    331.8 KB · Views: 320

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can you post a pic of the slanting one from the right angle? LOL
My brain is trying to sort it out from that pic. I think the correct angle on that one could make for an interesting tree.

I have a few of these. The key to keeping them at their size and to have nice tight foliage is to keep them trimmed unless you are trying to thicken a branch.
You see on your first one all those thin branches at the top with the long internodes? Trim them back.
Also any time you trim a branch, leave a stub because it will die back to the last internode.
If you dont keep them regularly trimmed, they will quickly get out of hand.

Here are a couple of mine that I just repotted a month ago. Both could still use a bit more trimming but I gave them a bit of a break because I had just repotted them...lol
The second one is about 20 years old

View attachment 112981 View attachment 112982

Nice Raintrees.:cool:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice!

Sorce

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
With the larger one, I'm wanting to do something like this:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 308

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Yes, exactly like that. I like that one. It's got a lot more curve and character to the trunk than mine.

I was reading on Savannah trees today, some theories on why they are typically straight without low hanging branches. Has to do with withstanding grass fires and herbivores. Pretty interesting.

I've been to Wigert's and seen his canopy BRT, it's extremely impressive.

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Two questions for you experts. I'm in South Florida, is it too late to repot these BRTs into a deeper pot with bonsai soil? They're in small containers and look really root bound.
Also, okay to cut the thorns off?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lobaeux,

seek out a club near you talk to them for repotting ideas.

Thorns, when do they occur , after extensions of say 3 leaves ?
Or are they always there ?

Do they fall off with age ?

Will it make the tree look strange ?

Gloves ?

Good Day
Anthony

Top Bottom