Raintrees!!!

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Great link! The Pierneef style is the classic African style, I've got a BRT that I'm going to try and influence into that style. My slanted BRT I'll try for the flat top style.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
They are really nice people as well. It's been a few years since I talked to them but I really enjoyed talking to them about what's unique to their styles and species.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Less than two weeks ago, I defoliated this BRT and it's come back with a vengeance. Too early to wire some of the new branches, but I'm getting excited for Spring to repot and see what the roots are looking like.

View attachment 130994
Why repot? It looks like the soil is in good shape still? Reporting just slows down development

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Why repot? It looks like the soil is in good shape still? Reporting just slows down development

The soil is in good decent shape, but I want to work on the roots a bit and make the tree more stable. I'm not happy with the chunk of coral rock holding it up.

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
My raintree this morning. Have this small dead branch on top, I think it's kinda neat and guessing I probably will need to skin it a bit and maybe put something on it to help preserve it.

IMG_5121.JPG IMG_5122.JPG IMG_5123.JPG

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The cuttings look great. I took some cuttings off of mine, they didn't last.

Pretty sure they didn't make it, they have the same look as when I put them in. Oh well, wasn't the greatest timing.
I hope you got a chance to see @sawgrass video about his BRT that he put thru a "radical" transformation. Maybe a different approach with this piece of material can give you something more pleasing, all-around. Just a thought.

Of course, if we were colleagues, I'd convince you the material was worthless. Barter some bent root pruners and take it off your hands. Then I'd build a box so I could tilt it all the way over and make a dramatic, multi-tiered, descending planting. Then I'd start the search for a unique shaped/glazed pot that could accommodate what could prove to be a fairly considerable composition. All the while, hiding it from you....until I sell it back to you for the price of a full boat Masakuni tool kit!!!:D:D:D:D:D That's what I'd do.....;):rolleyes::D:D:D:D Of course, Stacey would probably make it look better than each of us, I'd have to move to Florida, etc....o_O:D:D:D:D:D:D

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
That's awesome! I'm building a stand for my kayaks, might use some extra wood to build a box, then try to do something with it. Even thought of airlayering it. Right now, I'm just enjoying keeping it alive, it's obviously not very good material, other than teaching me about the BRT. Still, I may see if there's a way to turn or twist the trunk.

I did watch the YouTube video. It was pretty good!

Too bad about the cuttings. Mine didn't make it either. I think airlayering is the way to go and something I may be doing with my BRT that's planted up front.

Last edited:

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Some raffia, some force and I could probably get it to cascade, then bend some branches into a flat top cascade. Could be very odd.

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Doing some yard work today, the wife got a stab from a thorn. The howl and sudden admonishment of "cut that damn thing down!" was deftly avoided, not unlike the Heisman Trophy stance. But, she's starting to make comments. We're doing a kitchen remodel, but after that's done, it's on to landscaping the front yard and it's going to be tough to keep it in the ground.
This BRT is growing, but I just had to cut it back. I'm still not happy with the trunk width, and the pictures I took are not doing the muscular looking trunk justice.
Thankfully, my other BRT has just sprouted a ton of new branches and this upcoming week will be filled with wiring and selective pruning! Hooray!

IMG_5634.JPG IMG_5635.JPG IMG_5633.JPG

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How about Lobaeux, you put a light fence around the tree, to prevent any more stabs ?
[ no need for blood poisoning ]

Folks I am almost sure that this plant is Sub-Tropical, so my suggestion is to study the effects of
temperature on the tree.

I was reading about the Pomegranate and Agnus castus, both can grow in the Tropics but
they end up with ------ Short --------- life spans.
The Punica here died after a short 25 years.
The Agnus castus after 10 years.

I would hate to see your efforts die after say 25 years from Tropical growing exhaustion.

Seems the Hindus down here love the Pomegranate so much they have artificially kept it
alive since 1870 or so, with the act of replanting so often.
It is usually near their prayer spots in the yard.

Oh one for health 100% pomegranate juice aids the body in making the chemical needed
to repair muscles, very important for those older than 50 [ me ] as do strawberries.
[ source - New Scientist ----------- a real science magazine -- NOT new age stuffies ]
Good Day
Anthony

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Source for Pomegranate and Agnus castus information -

Tropical and SubTropical trees - M.Barwick

Good Day
Anthony

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
How about Lobaeux, you put a light fence around the tree, to prevent any more stabs ?
[ no need for blood poisoning ]

Folks I am almost sure that this plant is Sub-Tropical, so my suggestion is to study the effects of
temperature on the tree.

I was reading about the Pomegranate and Agnus castus, both can grow in the Tropics but
they end up with ------ Short --------- life spans.
The Punica here died after a short 25 years.
The Agnus castus after 10 years.

I would hate to see your efforts die after say 25 years from Tropical growing exhaustion.

Seems the Hindus down here love the Pomegranate so much they have artificially kept it
alive since 1870 or so, with the act of replanting so often.
It is usually near their prayer spots in the yard.

Oh one for health 100% pomegranate juice aids the body in making the chemical needed
to repair muscles, very important for those older than 50 [ me ] as do strawberries.
[ source - New Scientist ----------- a real science magazine -- NOT new age stuffies ]
Good Day
Anthony
Source for Pomegranate and Agnus castus information -

Tropical and SubTropical trees - M.Barwick

Good Day
Anthony

Sooo are you saying you think a BRT will die in 25 years or less?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Choppy,

I am suggesting perhaps a deeper look into the life of this tree.

AND leaving helpful, happy information on how to stay young and spry.:):D
Good Day
Anthony

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
I am suggesting perhaps a deeper look into the life of this tree.

To what end? What needs to be looked at? Life length? What depth of knowledge is not there? What unanswered questions? What are we looking for?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@choppychoppy

Ok Choopy,

let us look at the Fukien Tea, zone 9 and China has no Tropical zone.
The beach reaches zone 10.

In 1993 and 1996, on a purchasing trip to the UK, we brought in Fukien teas and Sageretia's.
The mother plants of the Sageretias, died after 3 years [ no real roots ] but the cuttings thrived and
the plants acclimated [ Sageretia is a zone 7 ]

What we noted was the cuttings and seedling of the Fukien teas, went dormant from Christmas until Mid
February. Probably dormancy induced by short days - lack of light.
So we just water when needed.

Most of Trinidad's trees stop growing during our dry season - December to May / June.
Flowering takes over.
Our trees also stop growing when the rains hit 9" of rain per month. This happens twice during June to
November.

If we dig up from the yard, a Sageretia from any time after October until March, it will die.

So you are researching the life cycle of the BRT.
Hope that helps.
Good Day
Anthony

* Incidentally, the plants from China, via Holland to the UK, were in clay [ perhaps clay loam ]
and we were told that all the Chinese do is dig the shape of the pot and then ship.

The clay was rich enough to roll and make shapes, by the way.

Top Bottom