Rainy weekend

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
So, I'm wondering how everyone made out with the huge rainfalls the SE and other places had this past weekend. Apparently, 6 months of rain (approx. 2 ft) fell in parts of SC in 3 days. I lived through something similar 6 years ago right after I moved to GA- 20" in 2 days. Who knew you could actually have flood damage even if your house was built on a steep hill....I don't want to ever deal with something like that ever again. Anyway, here's hoping everyone in the flood zone is making due.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
God help South Carolina. Some of the video coming out of there is jaw-dropping. I've seen the damage that floods like that can produce. It can be horrific. In August 1969, Hurricane Camille dropped 20 inches of rain in Central Va. in a three to five hour period. Five inches of rain fell in half an hour in Nelson County, Va. At the time the National Weather Service said it rained as hard in Nelson County as the laws of physics would allow. It simply couldn't rain any harder. . Not pretty, killed over 100. Scars are still on the mountains there. The almost biblical event supposedly influenced Creedence Clearwater Revivals' "Who'll Stop the Rain."

This event looks like a similar catastrophic "perfect storm" of conditions ideal for a deluge. I think something similar to what happened in Central Va.--ideal, locally-specific conditions and bad luck has happened in South Carolina. Praying for the water to recede.

Luckily, here in Va. we only got a few inches of rain in 48 hours on Friday and Saturday.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I too hope that the worst of the water recedes quickly, and the damage isn't as bad as it appears that it could be. And I hope all our SC members are all safe as well as their trees.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
We are dealing with an insane amount of damage. Roads washed out bridges compromised, entire building washed away or flooded, dams busted.... Parking lots flooded to over car roofs... Vehicles washed away... Last I heard, like 7 people have been killed so far. It is scary around here, but I am one of the lucky ones- still have power and water and no flooding in my neighborhood.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Eric,

Glad to hear you're not underwater and doing well. Godspeed.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Somehow us folks in Florida have been lucky the last 10 years or so to not get a direct hit with a major hurricane. Which is weird since they always head right towards us.

BethF

Mame
Reaction score
Like Eric said, what's happened here is unprecedented. This is as devastating as a hurricane. Those we have experience with; flooding not so much. I'm also one of the fortunate ones. But almost the entire capital city, Columbia, is without water. That includes several hospitals and the University of South Carolina, with an enrollment of about 25,000, many of whom live on campus. The students are also having food issues, as the campus, and therefore the school food service, is closed. Travel is limited, with many roads closed, as well as bridges because of concerns about their structural integrity due to the flooding. Thanks to all for the good wishes.

Robert E Holt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Glad to hear you all are safe.

Eric;

If you or anyone else need to seems me some of your trees for safekeeping, I would be glad to help:rolleyes:

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Eric, have you heard from John Geanangel?

We are all safe and dry! Thanks

Lots of standing water...ground is completely saturated so the water is forced to run. At the worst, I had about 1' of standing and flowing water in my garden and nursery...but fortunately nothing more than some superficial damage. In front and behind the house were giant ponds which have mostly receded now.

Most of the roads in my area are completely washed out with deep gullies and pits where water from the agricultural fields pooled and overflowed into the roads. It's a real mess and its going to take some time to repair.

I feel fortunate to have avoided some of the more serious damage and my thoughts go out to those who didn't fair as well.

John

Top Bottom