Raised Vietnamese style pots

chuckwc1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Hello everyone. I've been thinking of planting one of my Root over Rock Schlefferas into a raised pot in a style like the photo attached. Right now, that linked pot is the only one in that style I've been able to find, but the pot is plastic and not exactly what I'm looking for. Does anyone know what name this style of pot is called so I can search for more? Or know anywhere good to purchase one? If not, I might have to try my hand at making one out of concrete.

1643916809058.png

Attachments

• IMG_0278.JPG
    IMG_0278.JPG
    325.5 KB · Views: 39

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm a fan of the pots made in Vietnam, Thailand,..... I really like them, but I have tried to find a way to buy them , and after almost exhaust the internet, I have found nothing......so I will be watching if anyone knows a way to reach those jewels...
Edit: Maybe any of theses is what you're looking for.... https://www.thaigardendesign.com/product-category/pots-planters/page/2/

Last edited:

chuckwc1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I'm a fan of the pots made in Vietnam, Thailand,..... I really like them, but I have tried to find a way to buy them , and after almost exhaust the internet, I have found nothing......so I will be watching if anyone knows a way to reach those jewels...
I know. The lack of information/commerce from Southeastern Asian Bonsai can be a real bummer. Love the style, but there's so much less information about it compared to Japanese bonsai. Best I've found is one book about Hon Non Bo.

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That’s pretty cool.
I am tempted to try to make something similar out of cement.
I tried more of a free-form style with tall legs last year, and I liked it so much I broke it into small pieces to mix into my soil mix so all the plants could share.
it couldn’t really get worse.

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That’s pretty cool.
I am tempted to try to make something similar out of cement.
I tried more of a free-form style with tall legs last year, and I liked it so much I broke it into small pieces to mix into my soil mix so all the plants could share.
it couldn’t really get worse.
Bless your heart! Forgive me for laughing 🙂
@HorseloverFat to the courtesy phone...

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
🤣
This is what happens when one Bogarts
t123001.gif
b0280.gif

Last edited:

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Crap! I wasn't getting notifications.. because the FIRST one got buried.. and theen.... I plumb forgot... So what @Japonicus said is ACTUALLY quite accurate. 😂😂

Ok.

What I was going to say, is, I've been enamored by these pots, even before I started ceramics.. with the implied (or not) column-esque entities/facets of the design.. matching (or not) the skirts and accentuated Rims. And when feet are involved.. oof! SO elegant, but STURDY-looking... Beautiful designs, Impressions.. throughout.

My FAVORITES are ones that somewhat resemble that same "Poor, cement-esquel construction.. but appear to have Cambodian brick work. 🤓..Those ones DREW me to the design... the standard, cement-block style.. it's just THE BEST, in my opinion.

Buuuuut. I DID run across some Pretty sweet "Gaudy", dang near "over-the-top" ones recently that I actually quite enjoyed... let me try to find the video.
There's a mix.. but it's MOSTLY that "gaudy" stuff! 🤪

Aaaanyways...

From a tad of experimentation over my pottery dive.. and seeing several videos of pottery villages and observing their varying methods. Reading a few articles on Vietnamese specific glazing and moulding.. (Korean, too).. It seems to me, that, If using CLAY.. I'd have to construct stamps (as well as an apparatus to steadily HOLD and steady stamps) OR construct circular walls of depressed mold.. and press it in. (there's DEFINITELY a name for this..) OOOR do the Moulding separately... If I was to partake on such a build.

Concrete Seems easier.. 😂

But now. I'm second guessing my reluctance.

chuckwc1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Crap! I wasn't getting notifications.. because the FIRST one got buried.. and theen.... I plumb forgot... So what @Japonicus said is ACTUALLY quite accurate. 😂😂

Ok.

What I was going to say, is, I've been enamored by these pots, even before I started ceramics.. with the implied (or not) column-esque entities/facets of the design.. matching (or not) the skirts and accentuated Rims. And when feet are involved.. oof! SO elegant, but STURDY-looking... Beautiful designs, Impressions.. throughout.

My FAVORITES are ones that somewhat resemble that same "Poor, cement-esquel construction.. but appear to have Cambodian brick work. 🤓..Those ones DREW me to the design... the standard, cement-block style.. it's just THE BEST, in my opinion.

Buuuuut. I DID run across some Pretty sweet "Gaudy", dang near "over-the-top" ones recently that I actually quite enjoyed... let me try to find the video.
There's a mix.. but it's MOSTLY that "gaudy" stuff! 🤪

Aaaanyways...

From a tad of experimentation over my pottery dive.. and seeing several videos of pottery villages and observing their varying methods. Reading a few articles on Vietnamese specific glazing and moulding.. (Korean, too).. It seems to me, that, If using CLAY.. I'd have to construct stamps (as well as an apparatus to steadily HOLD and steady stamps) OR construct circular walls of depressed mold.. and press it in. (there's DEFINITELY a name for this..) OOOR do the Moulding separately... If I was to partake on such a build.

Concrete Seems easier.. 😂

But now. I'm second guessing my reluctance.
Is there a name for this style? And what are you searching to find these style? Anywhere to purchase or learn more?

chuckwc1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Since it seemed like there wasn't anything to buy that met what I wanted, of course my next thought was to make it. Been watching these videos of Indian people making concrete pots. See link. Made a rough draft for a concrete mold as shitty MS Paint drawing.

Attachments

• Concrete mold bonsai pot.png
    Concrete mold bonsai pot.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 20

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I found this.. I only skimmed it.. It may help. Just to add info to your arsenal.. It seems generic.. but you can take what you like. :)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This one is good. Mostly historic.. but touches briefly on "semi-moulding"...

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Look into the "pottery villages"..

This one, Bat Nang, appears to do all the color and texture work in the underglaze/glaze.. pretty neat... there SHOULD be videos on a bunch of the Vietnamese (and many other) Pottery villages.

chuckwc1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Neat, also thought I would share this section from 'Mountains in the Sea' a book about Hon Non Bo (A vietnamese art that mixes bonsai and miniature landscapes) that has a small section for making concrete pots. Feel a little bad about sharing from a book, but it's only a small section. The book is available on Stone Lantern.

Attachments

• IMG_0282.JPG
    IMG_0282.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0281.JPG
    IMG_0281.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0280.JPG
    IMG_0280.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 15
Top Bottom