Raku Sorcery

Reaction score
Wow Sorce, some GREAT pieces in there! The second teacup you made: WHOOOO! ♡
I've always learned that you shouldn't drink from raku ware tho, there's unheathly chemicals in there. Stay safe man!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
So glad to see you're making new pots again. I'm sure there will be a purple one in there sometime.;)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A good purple is hard to make. I remember blending up a 5 gallon bucket from a recipe of a very well known potter, and my purple was for crap. I know a couple others with great purples but they are guarded about their formulas.
There are some low fire purple glazes that are nice, but not much for stoneware.

Last edited:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
A good purple is hard to make. I remember blending up a 5 gallon bucket from a recipe of a very well known potter, and my purple was for crap. I know a couple others with great purples but they are guarded about their formulas.
There are some low fire purple glazes that are nice, but not much for stoneware.
I was just teasing about the purple because I have a beautiful purple pot from sorce, I think it's like a unicorn. purple Sorce pot.JPG

zero

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would just like to say I thoroughly enjoyed this thread! Doing a Raku workshop and am today about to start conceptualizing and beginning my pots for the workshop. Thanks so much for sharing y’all

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would just like to say I thoroughly enjoyed this thread! Doing a Raku workshop and am today about to start conceptualizing and beginning my pots for the workshop. Thanks so much for sharing y’all
I love to make raku. I used to do it frequently but had to concentrate on stoneware. Raku is just not functional. I do remember several years ago I made a couple raku planters and of course they fell apart with freeze and thaw.
Is a fellow named Bret doing your workshop?

zero

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I love to make raku. I used to do it frequently but had to concentrate on stoneware. Raku is just not functional. I do remember several years ago I made a couple raku planters and of course they fell apart with freeze and thaw.
Is a fellow named Bret doing your workshop?
Lee Hazelgrove is running it, and my teacher Janet Lopatofsky is assisting me-

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its hard to find a studio that will practice and teach Raku. Seems the public freaks out a bit at all the smoke from reduction and the flares of flames produced with different techniques. I remember the first time I saw a raku workshop at a community college years back. It was a sight to behold but the college stopped the practice siting safety issues.

Top Bottom