Ramification

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I had to post this photo from the 34th Sakufu Exhibition (2008) in Japan. This ramification is amazing. From a skill perspective I have never seen better. But I wonder if it is overdone? It is clearly designed to be shown bare leaf only - while in leaf it would look like a topiary. Yet even the bare leaf ramification hides the design of the tree. What do you think? Too much or just enough?

ramification.jpg

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Too much!

I admire the ramification as well but here is a classic example IMO of too much as it is hard to see main branch lines.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
This reminds me of a barbery bush in my foundation plantings...man, I hate that bush! So yes, too much ramification for a tree's image if that's what your attempting to create.

Dave

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
BNut,

I think it is just as you say. Amazing skill yet a bit over the top. It would rather look like a chia pet in leaf I am afraid.

However, one must stand in amazement at this for the sake of the work that was done. A classic example of, "just because you CAN do something does not mean you SHOULD."

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'd have to think it was just for bragging rights. Needs thinned by 2/3 I'm thinking.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I agree that it is too much but, what an accomplishment to get a tree this finely ramified without a ton of die back. Can you imagine the amount of time it took to pinch this tree often enough to produce this effect? Maybe that's the point; just to prove it can be done.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
All,

Some of the ramification appears to be shadow. If so, the over-ramification commented on might be non existent, or not as bad as it is being perceived to be. I would need to see the tree in person before I dared condemn it.

As stated previously, if this is a zelkova (I think it is), then the ramification is quite simply an extraordinary technical accomplishment.

Perhaps thinning, rather than less ramification is the answer?

Regards.
Martin

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Too Much

The only time I’ve seen this in nature is a witches broom that we find from time to time in the PNW forests…. “where the natural structure of the plant is changed. A dense mass of shoots grows from a single point, with the resulting structure resembling a broom or a bird's nest.
The bird cannot fly through this tree
?! Too much?!

kytombonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The ramification is amazing but is too much. I would bet that where all the branches emerge from the trunk is not a pretty sight.

Tom

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The ramification is amazing but is too much. I would bet that where all the branches emerge from the trunk is not a pretty sight.

Tom

Really? I tend to disagree. While I think this tree may be over-ramified, what artist in his right mind would work so hard to ramify a tree with a major flaw that makes it look unnatural? If it looks manufactured, I guarantee it's worth zero.

Chris

kytombonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Chris,

Your right, it would not be in the 34th Sakafu if the branching was not perfect. I cannot critique it based on this photo because I cannot see the branch structure. Either way the tree would look good in my collection but would be opened up quite a bit.

Tom

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
It looks like an Afro in the 70's.

Harry

TimD

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
First thing I thought of when I looked at it was "Good Times" ;)

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
I had to post this photo from the 34th Sakufu Exhibition (2008) in Japan. This ramification is amazing. From a skill perspective I have never seen better. But I wonder if it is overdone? It is clearly designed to be shown bare leaf only - while in leaf it would look like a topiary. Yet even the bare leaf ramification hides the design of the tree. What do you think? Too much or just enough?

ramification.jpg

Someone else pointed this out - I believe the camera mounted flash created a double effect. Who took this photo? If someone is going to go to Japan and see the exhibit at least they could invest in a couple of radio controlled flash units and learn how to properly shoot with a strobe. All those buttons are a bit confusing but... such bad shadows are inexcusable. A faster lens on a monopod would have been a better option to capture this tree without the strobe shadow and pop.

With that said it's a piece of work. I bet that if it's seen on axis under real exhibit lighting its would literally suck the breath from your lungs. Stunning.

Glider

Yamadori
Reaction score
Can you imagine being given the task of thinning this out? Where would you even begin?

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
I think this is something you do just to prove you can do it.
Now, follow the admonition of Naka-san and make your bonsai look like a tree.

Mike

Top Bottom