Random branch die off on ume

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All,

I have a nice little ume that has been doing very well until recently. It leafed out in spring and I already did my first cut back. All of a sudden random branches have started to die off. The leaves just suddenly shriveled up and died. They are not clustered on one side or area. In one spot a secondary branch on a main branch died while leaving the others. The rest of the tree is perfectly healthy. I have limited experience with ume and have had this one for two years now without any prior problems. The tree has been getting appropriate water and we have had decent weather. Any ideas?

A front and back view of the tree.
IMG_7505.jpgIMG_7507.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Look for frass which would indicate a borer has taken up shop somewhere under the bark and likely cut the cambium to the branch. If not that, perhaps some trauma to the branch base itself? I've found Ume to be extremely vigorous except in the face of insect damage, of which borers are by far the worst.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Look for frass which would indicate a borer has taken up shop somewhere under the bark and likely cut the cambium to the branch. If not that, perhaps some trauma to the branch base itself? I've found Ume to be extremely vigorous except in the face of insect damage, of which borers are by far the worst.
Thanks for the insights. It's definitely not trauma given the distribution, which you can't see in the pictures. I'll take a really close look for frass before I next water it.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi All,

I have a nice little ume that has been doing very well until recently. It leafed out in spring and I already did my first cut back. All of a sudden random branches have started to die off. The leaves just suddenly shriveled up and died. They are not clustered on one side or area. In one spot a secondary branch on a main branch died while leaving the others. The rest of the tree is perfectly healthy. I have limited experience with ume and have had this one for two years now without any prior problems. The tree has been getting appropriate water and we have had decent weather. Any ideas?

View attachment 437329View attachment 437330
My first inclination would be to remove the tree from the pot and examine the roots. It may be past time for a repot or there may be issues hidden below. terra cotta pots can hold considerable moisture and have limited drainage unless extra holes have been drilled in the bottom. So I would check the roots first.

Pine_nut

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hi All,

View attachment 437329View attachment 437330
Did you figure out what was causing the die back? How is the tree doing?

Top Bottom