Random collection and things and stuff

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After losing a bunch of trees a couple years ago I decided to try and stick with trees that do well here. Mostly I've stuck with native trees or ones that seem happy here.

These aren't anything special now but I think they have the right bones at least.

I have no idea what this shrub is but it grows like crazy here.

Small base of 1" but it seems to be doing well. I'll cut it to these nodes if it continues well.

ctLLzAy.jpg

A Siberian elm chomped on by cows, mowed, and sprayed for the last couple years. Collected last year.

vFhhqqi.jpg

A gingko base. If it continues doing well I'll need to put it in the ground I think. Just to grow out believable chops.

x9kOhry.jpg

This trunk is boring but I'd like a mulberry
some day, this one was lifted straight out of some leaf litter. If I get the roots right I'll try to grow it on. Mulberries are impossible to get rid of but hard as hell to collect in my (minimal)experience.

zYdipDX.jpg

Two elms (Siberian I think, definitely volunteer plants) that came out with very few roots.

qw8fBih.jpg

I'll be a happy camper if they survive. They were both 8' shrubs when I went at them and would've been cut down again.

ypBopIC.jpg

My favorites. Hackberries and cotton wood are the most magnificent trees we have here. Cottonwood isn't something I want to mess with and hackberry have always been a huge challenge for me to collect. Happy hackberry are almost always connected by root to a mother tree which makes them suck to collect, I quit after killing a bunch. I found three growing on their own roots that had an established trunk and were in a good spot to be collected. They're budding back like mad and I really hope they keep doing well, they're the one species I'd take over any other for native to my area.

NP6c4Be.jpg

I have two more hackberries, one privet, several more gingko, and quite a few more Siberian elms growing in, but mostly this was just a cute pic of Gypsy.

5JP1I9X.jpg

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The first shrub is a nonnative honeysuckle. Make decent Bonsai, but branches are brittle.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah the first is a honeysuckle they are everywhere in my back yard, I have dug 3 for now I plan on one more and I’m done. Here is one that I did take a picture of. 6AEA3055-8C12-447A-B24F-7CCD40193EDA.jpegE7889481-43C9-4C41-BF0F-5BE0A0E4743C.jpeg

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Whoa that's a whopper of a honeysuckle! I just collected two myself last week, mostly for the flowers, and to see what makes them tick.

Did you missed a couple times with the shovel or took a couple nibbles to see how they tastes? :oops:

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Something was scratching at it is my guess, I hope the bark recovers or I will do some carving. The one behind it in the same container is another one. They are almost unkillable and grow like crazy, you will enjoy it.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yeah that's what I was told and I think it's true. I collected off season. Bare rooted and took off a of of roots. And now it looks like they're popping new buds lol. It could be stored energy though. Will have to wait and see.

Interestingly enough, Honeysuckles and Goji share the common trait of hollow twigs. Both are hard to kill. And any part of the plant that touches the ground will grow new roots, kinda like a runner of sort.

So far I found Gojis to be the hardest to kill, even potted. But the scent of Honeysuckle blooms is one of my favorite.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That chopped mowed and sprayed elm is wicked!

I chopped my HS back 2 days ago.20180520_194424.jpg

Most of the good taper got lost in the dead top....but the base is still ok.

Sorce

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The ones I collected had no feeder roots because the way they were growing deep and it I cut the roots back hard and the things are still growing like crazy. Keep us posted I would like to to the progress.

Sorce that’s a wicked base and a good one for sure.

Top Bottom