Random deciduous tree.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I have no idea what this tree is but I do like the way it looks now with no leaves and it looks as if it will back bud easy enough so was wondering if it was worth digging up and chopping it back.
I can't recall it being anything special with leaves on and can only find one blurry far away pic from the archives which wont be of any help, the area is going to be landscaped anyway so as a garden plant it is surplus to use.
It looks as though there is a reasonable selection for trunks too.

Is it worth it do you think and if so would it be better to dig whilst dormant or wait for new growth?
If it's no good then I wont worry about but no harm in asking.
DSC_0037a.jpg DSC_0036.jpg

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Well it's getting dug up any way so it's just a matter of what happens to it, pot or fireplace.
Pretty sure the leaves aren't large from memory but I do get your point, if anyone recognises it then great if not then not a problem either way.

I also have a large Mastic just out of shot that I savegely cut back lat year, I know they make good bonsai but I think it may even be a bit large for my liking, still that will be getting removed too so that is the only reason I asked, I don't like killing trees needlessly so if they are worth saving I will.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I think it looks great as a winter tree especially silhouetted in the sun, it has ramification but not sure if that can be improved. I agree that it could be something to muck around with, all this is new to me so at the very least I could call it gaining experience and have fun at the same time with it.
To be honest when I say burn that is one option but I have a load of small trees, flowers and succulents that will be removed and I'm even more happy to bag them up and give them away to people so my wording was a bit harsh there.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I found a older pic from my phone, it's not great and too far away so probably not of much help but still the best I could find of it with leaves.
It is the one on the right edge of the picture.

cv.jpg

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
lol,That is crappy garden bed edging wire, I'm forever reattatching it as the stray cats jump up and crush it. I hate it. The wall is only maybe 4-5 foot tall, we are going to raise it but for privacy more than anything else.
The area is about half retired people and holiday homes mainly, it's fairly safe. My only objection is to the obnoxious street lights.

Beautiful countryside, by the way.

The sunsets over the mountains are great, it is a beautiful country and has an aridness that reminds me of back home in Australia.

I'm ok with a chop and a dig and see what happens.

Saizan

Yamadori
Reaction score
Maybe it's a Morus sp. (¿M. alba?), called here "morera". Not sure, could be lot of species....

Anyway, it has a lot of buds even near the main trunks, so a radical cut should be no problem.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Yeah it's tough to ID like it is now, it could be a Morus although I don't recall any berries. That said we have only been in the house 6 months so anything could of happened the first half of the year.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I think it is a fruit of some kind as I found a bunch of these seeds underneath the tree. If it is a Morus that'd be cool as I have seen some nice example of them as bonsai.
Not sure that is of much help to be honest.
DSC_0040.JPG

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I had someone guess it could be a Judas tree(Cercis siliquastrum), now that'd be cool but I'm not so sure it is as I can't find any actual seed pods, just seeds.

Not long to wait as I can see the buds swelling and are about to break out so guess I'll know soon.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Well as an update the buds are starting to burst but nothing really IDable yet however I have seen some of the same trees on my travels and then went into google street view to see if they had an image of them at a different time of year and I have convinced myself that @Saizan is right with the Morus/Mulberry ID.
They seem to be used quite a bit in Bonsai so that is a positive.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Well update number something.

It's an Hibiscus!
Hibiscus Syriacus to be exact. Also known as Rose of Sharon.

The more you know huh?

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hibiscus Syriacus

Oh - not that easy to shape in a "traditional" way, but worth trying.

Here is a picture of the only Hibiscus syriacus I've ever seen in an exhibition (October 2007):

shol037.jpg

It looks a bit like a "flame" Ginkgo, but the shape is relevant to the natural shape of the tree (it's a tree, I know one growing in front of a building facing West/South-West which is about 6-8 metres tall!)

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thanks Alain for the pic, I had not seen that. It is certainly different.

This kind of threw me to be honest, I have other Hibiscus that are more suitable that I will dig soon and if nothing else it is a nice surprise.
Think I'll prune it back and remove some of the trunks and leave it in the ground for a year and see what happens although it may end up having to move anyway so maybe I should just do dig it anyway.

Also just looked up those flame gingko's, they are pretty cool.

Top Bottom