Random leaf browning: cause?

ardiel

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
After taking photos of my bonsai yesterday, a juniper procumbens, I noticed later on that some random leaves turned brown.

I looked up all the causes for brown leaves from normal death on the very inside branches that are occluded from light, mites, over and underwatering, and blights or diseases. This doesn't look like any of these though.

It's like there's a random leaf here and there that has turned brown but most of everything is still green. There's no patches or entirely brown places, just some branches that have between one and five leaves on it that are brown and dried up with no particular pattern. This seems to be a sudden appearance.

How fast does browning progress, and how does it spread in junipers? All the pictures I've seen of browning have patches or entire branches going brown. And from reading about problems people have had it seems that things start turning brown suddenly all at once, not one leaf at a time like this?

I'm a bit confused. I will take pictures of it tomorrow when it is light out. I will probably take some reference pictures and compare in a few days to see if any more leaves keep turning brown.

Edit: actually looking around I see a couple pictures of show bonsai that seem to have this same property. Maybe I'm worrying too much? I tend to worry about things I'm responsible for especially when they are alive.

Last edited:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Sounds like it's just old leaves dying. I wouldn't worry.

ardiel

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sounds like it's just old leaves dying. I wouldn't worry.

I hope so, but just in case I took pictures.

It's very close and with the flash on so it really brings out all the dead leaves, but honestly it doesn't look quite this bad when just viewing it by eye.

When you're just walking by this can't really be seen at all and from just a couple feet away you could miss it unless you really look, but these brown leaves are everywhere. This pic is probably the worst collection of them.

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 37
Top Bottom