Random Of Doom!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Interesting...... this COULD prove to be quite an elegant solution to my cold-frame “equation”
74E72F25-7E82-4230-85F5-784E9AC6BCED.jpeg2E7D6FA5-F2D7-4D77-A96F-58BF0B950DAC.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I believe It was actually where the mechanic would stand while changing oil.. once upon a time... the original building layout had a driveway from the alleyway, which, given the size of an AVERAGE vehicle, would appear to “straddle” the “pit”

But I have NO definitive answer. 🤣.. a root cellar makes a ton of sense, too..

It has SOME features reminiscent of BOTH a cistern.. AND a coal room. Sooo not quite certain. 🤓

Maybe an oubliette? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 just kidding, of course.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe It was actually where the mechanic would stand while changing oil.. once upon a time... the original building layout had a driveway from the alleyway, which, given the size of an AVERAGE vehicle, would appear to “straddle” the “pit”

It has SOME features reminiscent of BOTH a cistern.. AND a coal room. Sooo not quite certain. 🤓

Well whatever else it is, it is a blessing. Very very cool. Paint me green with envy.
You made me look up a word. Thanks. I love words. :) 🤣 :D 😉

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well whatever else it is, it is a blessing. Very very cool. Paint me green with envy.
You made me look up a word. Thanks. I love words. :) 🤣 :D 😉
Thank you, friend. It’s very opportune timing, as well...

I returned home yesterday to find that “raised wall” I was building disassembled.. with a note from my father, reading, “That’s MY wood”.. 🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️... I’d be lying if I said I thought that that WASN’T a possibility.... it WAS his lumber. 🤣🤣

Last edited:

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That van is funny. It looks a bit like my truck, except mine has some nice character building uro and is barking up nicely, it gets hosed down regularly, almost once every 5 years or so. But I do fertilize it regularly.
And zorro, keep up the humor. I live in a swamp in the mud and rarely come in to civilization, so having a bit of humor and conversation works for me.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

My grandparents had one of these.
It was used for cart repairs, later car repairs, a place to put the buckets when slaughtering pigs and cows to catch the blood; they could be cut at working height if they hang on a beam above the pit. But also: temporary river ice storage, pickling salt storage, and a smart man would drill a hole in the bottom of the pit, insert a metal pipe and use it to dispose oil and chemicals, letting them seep into the soil.

Potatoes went in crates, high and dry if possible. Temperatures outdoors and in sheds are low enough to prevent sprouting. Putting them in a pit would create a damp and warmer environment, so pits are less than ideal.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It was used for cart repairs, later car repairs, a place to put the buckets when slaughtering pigs and cows to catch the blood; they could be cut at working height if they hang on a beam above the pit. But also: temporary river ice storage, pickling salt storage, and a smart man would drill a hole in the bottom of the pit, insert a metal pipe and use it to dispose oil and chemicals, letting them seep into the soil.

Potatoes went in crates, high and dry if possible. Temperatures outdoors and in sheds are low enough to prevent sprouting. Putting them in a pit would create a damp and warmer environment, so pits are less than ideal.
Awesome!!!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I..., a place to put the buckets when slaughtering pigs and cows to catch the blood; they could be cut at working height if they hang on a beam above the pit...

On that note, more proof the world as we know it is ending: in the last two or three days I've been offered two milk goats in exchange for a roll away tool box, and a whole live beef cow for $100 because all the butcher shops in the county are overbooked and they can't afford to feed the thing any more. This is a scale of meat processing I'm unfamiliar with. By that I mean it's not a chicken or rabbit, so I'm in over my head just considering it. But 1000 pounds of meat for $100 isn't something you just walk away from.

So, anyone have experience with butchering a whole cow?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On that note, more proof the world as we know it is ending: in the last two or three days I've been offered two milk goats in exchange for a roll away tool box, and a whole live beef cow for $100 because all the butcher shops in the county are overbooked and they can't afford to feed the thing any more. This is a scale of meat processing I'm unfamiliar with. By that I mean it's not a chicken or rabbit, so I'm in over my head just considering it. But 1000 pounds of meat for $100 isn't something you just walk away from.

You serious?
Why are the butchers overbooked??

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

Milk goats can be good business; the milk is used to produce the best baby formula in the world. If they're of European descent, mainly Italy, you have a fat chance of finding prime quality milk.

As for butchering a whole cow, I've never done animals that big. I've seen it being done graciously, and I've seen "butchers" at work.
I've done lambs, chicken and trout, but that's about it. Here in the NL's you're not always allowed to do it yourself without a certified butcher present, and if you do, you still need a butcher to come in and do a quality check afterwards.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You serious?
Why are the butchers overbooked??
All the meatpacking plants across the country were closed when the lockdowns started in the spring. As a result farmers and ranchers sold off huge numbers of old and newborn livestock at a loss. From that there are more people than ever in our area raising their own meat very cheaply this year, resulting in every butcher shop for miles and miles being booked out into next spring.
🙋🏽‍♂️

Goats, deer, lamb, rabbit, chicken, duck..too.

Do you have a sawz-all? Spines, butts (shoulder) and Thigh-bones can be troublesome.)

🤓
I've done most small game, and helped out with deer and elk, but never a whole cow that's probably well over 1000 pounds on the hoof. LOL
Also funny you said sawz-all. That's what my sister in law said too. I think that woman makes a better man than I do some days. I thought of it before asking, but was too worried about fragments of bone tainting my meat.

The big issue for going ahead with it is where do we put that much meat? We can find freezer space for maybe 2/3 of it between four or five households, but the rest will need dried, jerked, or canned. I've never canned meat before. Everything else just about, but not meat. That'll be interesting.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Milk goats can be good business; the milk is used to produce the best baby formula in the world. If they're of European descent, mainly Italy, you have a fat chance of finding prime quality milk.

As for butchering a whole cow, I've never done animals that big. I've seen it being done graciously, and I've seen "butchers" at work.
I've done lambs, chicken and trout, but that's about it. Here in the NL's you're not always allowed to do it yourself without a certified butcher present, and if you do, you still need a butcher to come in and do a quality check afterwards.
Here in the States, most areas don't have laws like that about food safety when you're doing it yourself. Essentially, America west of the Mississipi River and east of the Siera Nevada mountains is populated about like southeastern Russia. Big city here or there, but the rest is all widely dispersed small towns where it's still common for people to grow some of their own food, and no one finds it odd to find game that was recently hunted hanging in the neighbor's garage. Not quite the small farming villages of the former Soviet Block, but as close to it as you could expect a wealthy nation with immense wilderness areas to maintain.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Me, as a young teacher on a reservation in MT: "OK, students, where do we get meat from?" My students: "Your mom goes out in the garage and cuts it off the deer."
When I was in the coast guard my first station was a small rescue station on a reservation in Washington state. They wondered why anyone would ever PAY for fish.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
On a related but sorta not but still kinda funny note: My wife just texted me saying she brought home a new rooster for our chickens to replace the one that got eaten a few weeks ago. As soon as he landed in the coop our tiniest hen ran up to him, beat the crap out of him, and then mounted him. Ya know, because chickens.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
On a related but sorta not but still kinda funny note: My wife just texted me saying she brought home a new rooster for our chickens to replace the one that got eaten a few weeks ago. As soon as he landed in the coop our tiniest hen ran up to him, beat the crap out of him, and then mounted him. Ya know, because chickens.
HAHAHAHA!

....chickens.

🤓

Top Bottom