Random Pot Screen Though....

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Has anybody ever used Dura Rock joint tape for the drainage holes in their pots? Probably not great for the larger center hole but for the smaller holes in medium to larger sized pots. From what I have read, the tape screen is nylon or fiberglass that is alkali resistant and a bit (not sure what kind or how much) of adhesive. The tape is ridged enough to cover the smaller holes without it sagging under the soils weight. Only down side I could see would be if the adhesive was super toxic.... otherwise it would beat the hell out of cutting up plastic screens and wiring them in place.
Thoughts?
IMG_3497.jpegIMG_3498.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Has anybody ever used Dura Rock joint tape for the drainage holes in their pots? Probably not great for the larger center hole but for the smaller holes in medium to larger sized pots. From what I have read, the tape screen is nylon or fiberglass that is alkali resistant and a bit (not sure what kind or how much) of adhesive. The tape is ridged enough to cover the smaller holes without it sagging under the soils weight. Only down side I could see would be if the adhesive was super toxic.... otherwise it would beat the hell out of cutting up plastic screens and wiring them in place.
Thought?

I have seen people try it, not very effectively. It's too flexible, and hard too keep in place(can't wire it)
Even if the pot was perfectly dry and clean the glue on that stuff is pretty iffy in my experience, its the mud that holds it on the sheet rock, not the glue.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Aaron, you are correct, I had assumed you meant the drywall tape, speed reading :rolleyes: I am not familiar DuroRock, what's it used for?

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
DuroRock, what's it used for?
No worries… Definitely more rigid. It’s used to join the seams with cement board in showers or wet areas… Similar to sheet rock joints. The tape is just thicker in order to stand up to the heaver thinset as opposed to the thinner drywall mud.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will have to pick a roll up. Good to know.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Plenty of people use this or similar products, it seems. It seems to hold up fine for the 1-3 years between most repottings. The adhesive only needs to hold until you add soil, really.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I use drywall tape and it seems fine for everything I've run into really. Big holes get a big piece of drywall tape. Walmart sells them in packaging tape rolls like your pic above but Amazon has some with roles closer to the length of a paper towel role. In the two pics you can see I lined the entire inner baskets with a single large sheet per side. The plant in the red basket/crate even has ~2 inch diameter holes on all sides and it holds in potting soil decently enough.

The adhesive is "good enough" to hold it in place until you add the medium, after which point its the weight of the medium holding the screen in place.

Attachments

• 20200315_134741.jpg
    20200315_134741.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200302_153539.jpg
    20200302_153539.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 7
Top Bottom