Random Questions On Junipers

Naomanos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know that Junipers are technically an outdoor Bonsai only because they need to go dormant in the winter. Yes, I have a Chinese Elm indoors, but from what I read Junipers are much harder to keep indoors, than a Chinese Elm.

So my question is, why do they seem to thrive here in Zone 9 of Florida outdoors where they do not get a dormancy period?

Is dormancy locked to both light duration and temp or just one or the other?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Light is like the big dial, temp the fine tuner.

At least that's how I see it.

Light is the internal calendar, temp the reminder alarm?

Sorce

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know that Junipers are technically an outdoor Bonsai only because they need to go dormant in the winter. Yes, I have a Chinese Elm indoors, but from what I read Junipers are much harder to keep indoors, than a Chinese Elm.

So my question is, why do they seem to thrive here in Zone 9 of Florida outdoors where they do not get a dormancy period?

Is dormancy locked to both light duration and temp or just one or the other?

I've always wondered the same thing about junipers having to go dormant. People are always posting about being afraid of warm spells in the winter and putting their junipers in the freezer but I never really understood that. I have several California Junipers where their natural habitat is the high desert where it stays pretty cold in the winter with snow on the ground for a few months of the year. You can dig these trees, bring them to the beach with only a few days under 40 degrees the entire winter and they thrive and keep growing all winter. Could it be that junipers don't really go dormant but simply can handle a wide range of temps?

sean f

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
junipers and most trees should always be outside. you will hear about the one guy that has a juniper he has been keeping inside for 20 years....one guy

Naomanos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
junipers and most trees should always be outside. you will hear about the one guy that has a juniper he has been keeping inside for 20 years....one guy

That really does not answer my questions though. Yes, we hear keep them outside, but when you live in an area such as zone 9 of Florida, where there are no long stretches of cold temps, especially at night, it makes you wonder if Bonsai like Junipers really need dormancy. They are all over the place here in Florida as they are used in landscaping. They are thriving with no dormancy.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Forgot to mention its been dead for 19 of those years.lol

sean f

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
inside you don't get the light or humidity trees need to thrive, in florida in the winter you still have lower temps the tree slows down(not growing) its not dormant like it would be here in PA 4-5 months of freeze and cold but it still a rest period there are people on here from all over and even the so cal guys have a dormant period even with their ten month growing seasons

sean f

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
its alive... it always get brought up when someone argues that it can be done , how many thousands have been killed by people trying? who knows i killed my first tree that way

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
its alive... it always get brought up when someone argues that it can be done , how many thousands have been killed by people trying? who knows i killed my first tree that way
I am sure that person has an incredibly good halogen lamp setup. As I always say, just because something is theoretically possible doesn't mean one should try doing it. I overwinter my junipers on a covered patio but outside as soon as spring heats up. Much better for the tree......I don;'t want to pay for halogen lamps or the fortune it costs to keep them running. lol sunlight is free,,,,,,,

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am not aware that junipers require dormancy. If so, it would depend on the species, since junipers occur globally in the wild - from the Arctic through Equatorial locations. Junipers grow in tropical Africa and Central America. I have my junipers outside in Southern California, and though they have active growing periods, and active periods of non-growth (like ficus, citrus, magnolia, bougainvillea, and my other tropical trees), they are never fully dormant.

I am pretty sure that with bright enough light, I could keep a juniper indoors. I think it is more likely that people put a juniper in a window where it gets no sun and only indirect light, and wonder why it pushes leggy growth and then dies.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Perhaps someone should take this question to one of our great land-grant universities for a complete answer.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
There's a shop in Orlando that grows junipers indoors. Keep in mind this is a mary j shop and feels like walking into a botanical conservatory, I.e. inside mimicking outdoor conditions complete with grow lights, fans, humidistat, etc., it ain't granny's windowsill. Anyways, they still don't look too great but they're alive and have been there for years.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Many people who try to grow juniper indoors try to do so without enough light. They are a full-sun plant that requires direct sunlight. Think bare minimum 10,000 lumens, and they wouldn't blink at 30,000. Underneath a 250 watt full-spectrum metal halide light, I believe they would do fine. Any full spectrum bulb that can grow coral will grow a juniper :)

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Please remember that if Ma Nature had meant for any plant to live inside a human habitation she danged well would have put one there.

The indoor environment -- even the best of them -- is not for green growing things. Some trees -- most of them warm-climate evergreens -- will survive indoors, but few will be truly happy there, much less thrive there. One of the biggest issues is humidity. To keep a tree truly happy and healthy indoors 365 days a year requires a humidity level that would mildew the furniture. Misting, and especially drip trays, do little or nothing to raise the humidity to sufficient levels. The lack of UV light -- not just the number of lumens -- is also a factor. Good, clean, moving air is another.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I am sure that person has an incredibly good halogen lamp setup. As I always say, just because something is theoretically possible doesn't mean one should try doing it. I overwinter my junipers on a covered patio but outside as soon as spring heats up. Much better for the tree......I don;'t want to pay for halogen lamps or the fortune it costs to keep them running. lol sunlight is free,,,,,,,

You're wrong on all counts (except for halogen lamps costing more than sunlight).

Jack Wikle is the guy people (like myself) refer to. Look him up on google if you're not familiar.

He has a procumbens juniper that he's been growing indoors, no time outside, under standard fluorescent lights (not even t8 or t5) for about 25 years. He brought it to a demo at our club last fall. I held it in my hands. It is very much alive and very healthy.

He has many other species growing under the same conditions, for 10-20 years.

It's not theoretical (keeping a juniper indoors), it's been done. Now maybe Jack has the one single juniper in the world that is capable of living in those conditions, but I kind of doubt it. I've heard of other people doing the same thing.

Like with all things, I'm sure it takes some practice to figure out exactly how to manage this in one's particular environment. You have to get the light right, watering, fertilizing, etc. People who grow outdoors lose/kill trees all the time while they're learning, so why would it be any different indoors?

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You're wrong on all counts (except for halogen lamps costing more than sunlight).

Jack Wikle is the guy people (like myself) refer to. Look him up on google if you're not familiar.

He has a procumbens juniper that he's been growing indoors, no time outside, under standard fluorescent lights (not even t8 or t5) for about 25 years. He brought it to a demo at our club last fall. I held it in my hands. It is very much alive and very healthy.

He has many other species growing under the same conditions, for 10-20 years.

It's not theoretical (keeping a juniper indoors), it's been done. Now maybe Jack has the one single juniper in the world that is capable of living in those conditions, but I kind of doubt it. I've heard of other people doing the same thing.

Like with all things, I'm sure it takes some practice to figure out exactly how to manage this in one's particular environment. You have to get the light right, watering, fertilizing, etc. People who grow outdoors lose/kill trees all the time while they're learning, so why would it be any different indoors?
Don't get me wrong. I don't doubt that is it possible in the least, yet there are many factors to take into account and as it stands most people don't have the right set up or right kind of house to do this. I personally would live to grow pines and Junipers and what not inside, what I am saying is that for most people this frankly is just not practical. Sorry if I caused confusion with my somewhat sarcastic satirical typing. (PS: I kept a Juniper indoors for a year, but in very controlled conditions, it was a tree collected from the wild, it is still alive and kicking yet I really wouldn't recommend that others do the same.)

Reactions: coh

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't get me wrong. I don't doubt that is it possible in the least, yet there are many factors to take into account and as it stands most people don't have the right set up or right kind of house to do this. I personally would live to grow pines and Junipers and what not inside, what I am saying is that for most people this frankly is just not practical. Sorry if I caused confusion with my somewhat sarcastic satirical typing. (PS: I kept a Juniper indoors for a year, but in very controlled conditions, it was a tree collected from the wild, it is still alive and kicking yet I really wouldn't recommend that others do the same.)
Thanks for the reply. I generally don't suggest that people should grow junipers indoors, but I do like to provide the information for those who are considering it.

Pines are a different animal, I know Jack tried some but didn't have any long term success.

Chris

Top Bottom