Random Questions...

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Okay guys so I obviously am obnoxiously new to this and with that comes questions!!! A close mouth don't get fed so please feed me your knowledge!!!

1. Whats the purpose of moss? I like the moss/grass look, is this only a finishing touch for a more refined tree?

2. When using 2 different fertilizers should I be alternating weeks? Essentially a different fert every other week. Or should I just be focusing on using each fert only once a month?

3. What are some essential books I can get to help introduce me to the hobby and to some of the terminology being used, ie shari, jin, backbudding etc?

I thought I had more and Im sure I do, but that is all for now.

In exchange for your responses I leave you with this knowledge... You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice! :rolleyes:

Thanks guys!

Reaction score
1. The green moss is only for exhibitions. Some use chopped sphagnum moss to prevent desiccation.
2. Depends on what fertilizer you use. When you use solid fertilizer you can apply monthly. When liquid weekly. Alternating is always good.
3. The books of John Naka are the old testament. There are a lot of books...

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi Johnathan,

Well i`ve been in bonsai for many days now so:

1. In addition to what dirk has said.. moss can look attractive depending on the look you want for your tree. Can also help with evaporation, especially if using heavy inorganic. Also a conversation companion for the tree when unobserved :p

2. Not quite following what your asking here.. I for example am using a balanced slow release furt that will last the whole season, and also a balanced liquid weekly. If your asking about furts with different levels other than balanced, like a high nitrogen feed, these are recommended at certain times in a season. Explained in 3. if your following these methods.

3. Any thing that is complete will cover every thing you want to know.. and when you read the same info, in deapth, from multiple sources, stuff will sink in :) Amazon second hand stuff is great.

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I have a spare copy of Colin Lewis' "Bonsai Survival Manual" that you can have if you pay for shipping. PM me if interested.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Oh and one more question... whats everyone's thoughts on humidity trays? The summers here in OKC can be brutally dry at times.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Humidity trays - generally create more problems than they solve. Outdoors, wind makes the effect of the trays negligible, but when roots grow out of bonsai pot into the tray, it can help speed growth if that is what you wanted.

Indoors humidity trays have little benefit and get messy quickly annoying significant others living in the house.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Humidity trays - generally create more problems than they solve. Outdoors, wind makes the effect of the trays negligible, but when roots grow out of bonsai pot into the tray, it can help speed growth if that is what you wanted.

Indoors humidity trays have little benefit and get messy quickly annoying significant others living in the house.

Awesome.... I will stay away from them then lol

Top Bottom