Random stuff my brother digs up

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
For the last few years, my brother (trying to be nice, I guess) has been digging up and gifting me with random junk from his yard. I wasn't really interested in the various weeds and junk stuff he dug up and it all died anyway. Yesterday's contribution was this sweet gum from his yard. I read a bit in threads here and naturally this is not the time to dig them. I guess I'll try and get it into a nursery container and some soil when I get home, just to say I tried. I have seen some nice examples as bonsai, I just wish he would have asked #1 did I want it, and #2 if so, when he should dig it up. Any tips for trying to keep it alive are appreciated. sweet gum.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Defoliate now to conserve moisture then pot up and cross fingers.
Someone here told me that your liquidamber is not easy to transplant at the best of times so it will be interesting to see if this one takes.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've never been wrong before, but that doesn't look like a Sweetgum to me. It looks like Field Maple, excellent bonsai. If you can keep the pot in a place where the sun shines on the pot, but not the foliage until the last hour (or for the first hour) of the day, and you keep it moist for the foreseeable future, and increase sun exposure by 50% every few days thereafter, I guarantee success, or your money back!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I've never been wrong before, but that doesn't look like a Sweetgum to me. It looks like Field Maple, excellent bonsai. If you can keep the pot in a place where the sun shines on the pot, but not the foliage until the last hour (or for the first hour) of the day, and you keep it moist for the foreseeable future, and increase sun exposure by 50% every few days thereafter, I guarantee success, or your money back!
Certainly possible, he said it was a sweetgum, but he also has dug up weeds to give me.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I took a look when I got home, nothing much for roots, so not much hope. The trunk does have a bit of a curvy thing going on.sweet gumroots.jpgsweet gum.jpgsweet gum2.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Check the bud arrangement. Liquidamber have alternate growth pattern. All Acer have opposite buds. At this stage I'm still happy with the liquidamber ID.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I planted number of Liquidamber seeds, they all grow for the first year, but when transplanting them next spring to individual pots, the death rate is nearly 90 %.
Best of Luck whatever it is, fingers crossed

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of the leaves. It's perked up a little.sgum.jpgsgum 2.jpg

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
For the last few years, my brother (trying to be nice, I guess) has been digging up and gifting me with random junk from his yard. I wasn't really interested in the various weeds and junk stuff he dug up and it all died anyway. Yesterday's contribution was this sweet gum from his yard. I read a bit in threads here and naturally this is not the time to dig them. I guess I'll try and get it into a nursery container and some soil when I get home, just to say I tried. I have seen some nice examples as bonsai, I just wish he would have asked #1 did I want it, and #2 if so, when he should dig it up. Any tips for trying to keep it alive are appreciated. View attachment 318916
That's like everyone that knows I listen to vinyl brings me old boxes of junk records from "cleaning out my dad's place after he passed" and "oh, look I found these in my basement and I know you'll love them" etc etc. SO now we have like thousands of old records in our basement that I know I'll probably not look through....
I prefer to buy brand new vinyl and they do make some super high quality pressings nowadays...

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well, based upon alternate buds, not a Maple. I'm pleased to tell you that you have discovered a new genus and I'm suggesting you name it Caroloops Illinii incorporating the name of the discoverer and some characteristic of the plant. The Nobel committee will probably at your door tomorrow!

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
For sure that's not a sweet gum. I would bet money that it's a sycamore.....but then again I don't bet.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
For sure that's not a sweet gum. I would bet money that it's a sycamore.....but then again I don't bet.
There are species that sometimes have immature bud arrangements that are different from mature arrangement, but I can't find a reference to that occurring in Field Maple. There is a European Sycamore that has a similar leaf shape, too. Unfortunately, Carol83 has already admitted that she has a checkered history of husbanding her brother's gifts, so we only have an off chance of seeing anything but a dead stick next year...

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
There are species that sometimes have immature bud arrangements that are different from mature arrangement, but I can't find a reference to that occurring in Field Maple. There is a European Sycamore that has a similar leaf shape, too. Unfortunately, Carol83 has already admitted that she has a checkered history of husbanding her brother's gifts, so we only have an off chance of seeing anything but a dead stick next year...
Hey now, it's not all on me. He doesn't do a very good job at collecting, leaving virtually no roots.

Top Bottom