Random stuff you enjoy from Japanese culture?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been reading Musashi, which is a really good book based on the life of a famous Samurai from the early 1600s. It has made me wonder, any other good books, music, handmade craft, or anything else from Japanese culture that you would recommend checking out?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First on my list would be Japanese pottery. There are many many named varieties, kilns and artists. My favorite is Bizen Ware. Japanese antique scrolls are a close second. Suiseki stones are paramount. Netsuki, as well as other daily items of old Japanese every day life. Then there is Japanese Woodblock prints. These are amazing. I have framed hundreds and have many many more. Japanese textiles are great and I have several obi. Japanese alters and carved Buddhist figurines are sublime. Japanese singing bowls have incredible tones. Japanese furniture is so Japanesey. Japanese hand tools are exquisite. Japanese swords and tantos should be considered as should Yumi bows. The list goes on and on but certainly consider a Japanese Garden.
The tea bowls shown above by sorce are exquisite.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Although, due to a weird convergence of circumstances it's called Brazilian jiu jitsu outside of Japan. And then stranger still, it went back to Japan under that name and is a separate sport.

Probably because the official sources in Japan are rigid and traditional about what cam be called what.

HardBall

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Japan makes many great fountain pens and writing instruments in general, some with beautiful Maki-e artwork. Pilot, Sailor, Platinum are some famous names that come to mind. Don't google them if you don't want another expensive hobby.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Japan makes many great fountain pens and writing instruments in general, some with beautiful Maki-e artwork. Pilot, Sailor, Platinum are some famous names that come to mind. Don't google them if you don't want another expensive hobby.
You omitted Namiki. Namiki emperors are the pen-ultimate! :D

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Someone had to say it and with a avatar from one of my favorites it might as well be me.

Japanese Anima.

Fate_stay_night_UBW_Ufotable.jpg

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
  • I haven't read "Book of Five Rings" yet, so I don't how they compare, but I found "Hagakure" to be interesting if you're looking to read more about samurai.
  • The art of Japanese sword fittings (koshirae) is utterly fascinating and beautiful and definitely worth flipping through a book to learn something about.
  • I like some anime (but there is also a fair amount that is trash, in my opinion). My favorites are "Ghost in the Shell", "Macross Plus" (which is sort of like Top Gun, but in space), and Hayao Miyazaki's films such as "Spirited Away" and "Princess Mononoke". Another lesser known gem that is part live action and part anime is "Twilight of the Cockroaches", which I think must've been the inspiration for the American movie "Joe's Apartment". Delightfully quirky.
  • Akira Kurosawa films. I thought "Ran" was particularly spectacular. "Sanjuro" was really good too. "Rashomon" was ok, but I didn't care for it as much as the other two films.

Top Bottom