Random stuff you enjoy from Japanese culture?

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Items I brought back from various locations, Japan, China, Phillipines….they are all made for Turist trade in the very early 1900's, the Japanese Hall Vase is 42" tall, the Irgot Warriors are also tall 38" and from Luzon, Phillipines.....the Carved Chest is from Singapor, 54" W

chinese chest 015.JPGchinese chest 011.JPGchinese chest 003.JPGBonsai Tray 002.JPGP9127177.JPGP8160033.JPGP32  Sake 001.JPGJap. vase's.JPG

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
…..I will say that I turn into Jerry Lewis when I have to use chopsticks to eat. Complete fail.....

jerry lewis.gif

….not a fan of that facet of Japanese culture, but am intrigued by a perceived, (by me) more in-grained "appreciation" of nature/natural forces.

Ohhh, I do like ten-pinnen' a hot sake service like Walter Ray Williams Jr.🥴

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
…..I will say that I turn into Jerry Lewis when I have to use chopsticks to eat. Complete fail.....

View attachment 281123

….not a fan of that facet of Japanese culture, but am intrigued by a perceived, (by me) more in-grained "appreciation" of nature/natural forces.

Ohhh, I do like ten-pinnen' a hot sake service like Walter Ray Williams Jr.🥴
I turn into Jerry Lewis I get to bite into some tonkatsu! I have not found anything close in the states.

Boscology

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
For those that enjoy antiques and art the market on Japanese pieces is currently quite depressed as compared to the price on Chinese antiques, it was vice-versa decades ago and for a long time but currently you can get nice Japanese pieces for quite reasonable prices.

colley614

Shohin
Reaction score
I'm a massive fan of aquariums. My favourite fish has to be the Japanese fancy goldfish such as the Ranchu.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really like Japanese architecture, have you seen the technique where they don't use any nails?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know what I like about Japanese Culture?

Respect for an enemy.
So much respect, that the enemy is offered study.
So much study, that the truth may be revealed that the enemy isn't even an enemy.

It's an example of Super Selfishness.

Since now, without an enemy, one is free.

Sorce

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know what I like about Japanese Culture?

Respect for an enemy.
So much respect, that the enemy is offered study.
So much study, that the truth may be revealed that the enemy isn't even an enemy.

It's an example of Super Selfishness.

Since now, without an enemy, one is free.

Sorce
My uncles that fought in the Pacific would disagree on this statement. The Japanese thought they were sub human and treated them as such.

torture and mutilation of the dead was common during the war. Not to mention the rape of the women population.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My uncles that fought in the Pacific would disagree on this statement. The Japanese thought they were sub human and treated them as such.

torture and mutilation of the dead was common during the war. Not to mention the rape of the women population.
This is every warrior, every nation at war.

GrampaMoses

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, unfortunately, you can find war crimes, genocide, racism, misogyny, rape, etc in pretty much every country's history. Japan is no exception. Hope your Uncles made it home safe.

I've studied karate for over 10 years now, currently training in matsubayashi shorin ryu, an Okinawan martial arts with roots in Shaolin (shorin) kung fu. I've read Musashi's Book of the Five Rings and Bushido Shoshinshu. I used to idolize the samurai, but now I just idolize my sensei. My dojo's code is "to be sincere and honest, to show strong spirit, to practice courtesy, to control bad temper."

I also played lots of Nintendo and Sony Playstation games growing up. Suikoden, etc.

And I love Canon cameras and lenses.

Top Bottom