Randy Knight Japanese Maple

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm starting a thread on this Japanese maple I purchased last year from one of our BNut members. Originally the tree was collected by Randy Knight from an old nursery. The maple was one of a few that apparently had been growing in the ground for many, many years.

I became very interested in this tree mainly for its non-traditional qualities. This tree has a quality that's more akin to an ancient oak than to a Japanese maple which tend to be more refined and elegant in appearance. For whatever the reason many areas including one of its larger trunks had died back over the years imparting the tree with character and an aged appearance. Below is a series of photographs showing the tree from all angles as it was offered for sale.

This is the original front of the tree. And for good reason since both trunks lean forward towards the viewer.

Below are two side angles.

Upon examining the tree carefully and inspecting the root base I decided on this angle. The pic below shows the former back as the tree's new front.

However, although some of its surface roots were nice, going deeper into the soil with a chopstick I discovered an even better and more interesting base. From this angle the entire tree faced away from the front. Since it was getting repotted, the planting angle was changed by roughly 45 degrees so that the whole tree came further forward. In the process more deadwood was uncovered which now became the tree's main feature.

Below is the newly repotted maple in a beautiful plastic oil drain pan :p As can be seen the tree gained in height by planting it a lot higher and uncovering its interesting and robust 7" base. I took off all the wires and edited the canopy somewhat. I will leave it be this year and next spring it will undergo detailed wiring. I plan on refining the deadwood areas at some point this year.

Last edited:

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I liked the original base better. I would love to see it in leaf. Picking one of the sides that show the double trunks would be my choice. I have never seen a randy knight tree that was not a conifer.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It will be an interesting ride seeing what you do with it, it will not be quick, but rewarding. I'm not sure I love the hanging root. I've always had problems feeling like it was a part of the tree we should be seeing. But great to see something this unusual.
I'll bet you have a drawing???hmm??

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I liked the original base better. I would love to see it in leaf. Picking one of the sides that show the double trunks would be my choice. I have never seen a randy knight tree that was not a conifer.

Neither did I until the seller gave me some history and said he bought it from Randy. Apparently he has (or had) a few of these collected maples for sale.

Sweet! I look forward to the carving bit ;)

Thanks Brian. I am looking forward to it as well. We'll see what can be done.

It will be an interesting ride seeing what you do with it, it will not be quick, but rewarding. I'm not sure I love the hanging root. I've always had problems feeling like it was a part of the tree we should be seeing. But great to see something this unusual.
I'll bet you have a drawing???hmm??

Well Miss J I do not have a drawing for this one. I am gonna "free style" it :cool: Only a few days ago I thought my front was the first pic. Then I ended up with the back as my new front and a whole new base. So... I guess what I am saying is I'm letting it tell me what it wants to be :p

BTW I did ponder about that hanging root as well. It is in fact part of the deadwood. I may very well end up cutting it off but for now I left it as a possibility. We will see.

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Mach,

I like the original front. This is indeed a grandfather...Indeed resilient...Deciduous with deadwood and still kicking...Awesome material and once completely ramified what a sight that will be.

Chuchin

Ryan820

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Wow... that is a big trunk. I rather like the final placement you decided on... and agree it'll be fun to see what you do with it.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Mach,

I like the original front. This is indeed a grandfather...Indeed resilient...Deciduous with deadwood and still kicking...Awesome material and once completely ramified what a sight that will be.

Chuchin

Thanks Chuchin! Yes it's sort of amazing how the tree still strong and vigorous in parts and the rest rotted and dead. Definitely has not given up yet!

I chose the new front on the basis of featuring more of the deadwood. In the original front (first pic) there is some of it but just not as obvious and dramatic. I also felt the size of the two trunks from this angle look too similar and perhaps not as well integrated with each other.

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
I'm a big fan of your pot selection! I think this front will be more convincing once you do some carving:), course, you already know that:)... Great tree!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of your pot selection! I think this front will be more convincing once you do some carving:), course, you already know that:)... Great tree!

Thanks fraser! Yes without doubt much work still is needed to turn this piece of material into a bonsai. What these pics I think do illustrate is how much the character and quality of a tree can change with just a simple repotting.

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its looking real nice as it is. I am a fan of the exposed or root up displays like this. Its hard to picture the trunk being 7 inches even with it being in the oil pan, the thickness of the upper part evens it out in the pictures. I'd love to see it in leaf.

ed

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Failed to provide an update or even work at all on this tree last year. However I made sure to give it some attention this spring. Here is an update.

Below is the tree as it appeared coming out of winter. It did not grow too much last year. I think this was due to a lack of a proper root system when I first acquired it. It is my hope that it does have a better growth season this year.

This is the maple after getting its first styling. All the deadwood was worked on and carved to make it more natural. It was wired and ready to take its first steps into becoming a bonsai. After I carved the wood with the help of a dremel, I used a solution of black ink and water and brushed it on the deadwood to blend it all in. It will be repotted into a temporary ceramic container in a few days.

Here is a quick progression. On the left is the tree as it was originally offered.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wow! Looking great after the restyle! I honestly wasn't seeing the excitement you had for this tree the first time you posted it, but after the update... Well, I get it now! Looks like a Walter Pall "Fairy Tale Style" tree in Shohin size- qb which BTW, how big IS it?.. I estimated about 11-12 inches based off you saying the base was 7- pretty close?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree. Was this one of Jason Gamby's trees?

If it is I think I have a picture of it back in 2008 when I was at his house.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is a teee that originally came from Randy. He had a bunch of them whcih are now all at Nature's Way Nursery in Harrisburg. This particulasr one was styled at my advice over several years in my workshop which I used to give every year in Portland. Nice to see him again. I might show other such trees in another thread.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Already has the signature M5 look going on. Bet you're excited to get it in a pot! This is looking really promising, I'm glad you wound up with this one.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wow! Looking great after the restyle! I honestly wasn't seeing the excitement you had for this tree the first time you posted it, but after the update... Well, I get it now! Looks like a Walter Pall "Fairy Tale Style" tree in Shohin size- qb which BTW, how big IS it?.. I estimated about 11-12 inches based off you saying the base was 7- pretty close?

Thanks Eric. It was a toss up here. I bought the tree from a member of BNut (raydomz) from pictures only. I was either going to make something out of it or end up in the trash in case I did not succeed. I liked how beefy the base was originally and all the deadwood which made it very different from anything else I have.

You're close! The tree now is 14" high from soil level.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice tree. Was this one of Jason Gamby's trees?

If it is I think I have a picture of it back in 2008 when I was at his house.

Al I do not know whether this tree passed through Jason's hands at some point. Please post pics if you think they are the same tree. I'd love to see them!

Top Bottom