Rare Earth - Pyrophyllitic Silicate Clay + Leonardite

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was picking up some supplies for my indoor setup, and I was given a sample of "Rare Earth" which is in powder form, and is composed of 60% Pyrophilitic Silicate Clay and 40% Leornardite.

From gleaning the directions on the packet, it says it is best used in Hydroponic growing systems, which I don't have.

Has anyone ever used this stuff? Is it any good?

Thanks.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Sounds like something you sprinkle around a pot in a circle while reciting an incantation - y'know, to keep evil spirits away from your tree. ;)

Seriously though, no experience with it here. I know leonardite is a source of humic acid that is used as a soil amendment.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds like something you sprinkle around a pot in a circle while reciting an incantation - y'know, to keep evil spirits away from your tree. ;)

Seriously though, no experience with it here. I know leonardite is a source of humic acid that is used as a soil amendment.

That's what the image on the packet makes me to believe also.. I think candles and incense are necessary as well to unleash it's fullest potential.

Since it's used as part of a nutrient solution in hydroponic setups, I was curious if I dilute it in warm water, wait till it cools, remove the sediment, and feed my indoor stuff with it, perhaps I'd be introducing some beneficial trace elements for the trees that they might like while cooped up indoors.

It does say that it can be used to amend soil mixes as well, but I'd prefer not to mix clay into my substrates.

Anyone... Beuler?

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is this sold under the rubric of silicon making your plants harderhardier?
You guys are on the right track!
They use it in growing what's illegal in MO, but tolerated in OR and CA.
I'm sure other places as well.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You guys are on the right track!
They use it in growing what's illegal in MO, but tolerated in OR and CA.
I'm sure other places as well.
Haha, Yep, like everything else sold at a hydroponic store.
There is a shop near my work that sells lots of equipment "for tobacco use only" . . .

I'll stick with my whisk(e)y, thanks.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Leonardite is a source of humic acid which for me is the magic bullet.

Leonardite has the highest humic acids content of any natural source. Although humic acids can be extracted from peat, composts or soils; none of these sources are so concentrated and abundant as leonardite. It is plentiful and inexpensive compared to other possible humic acid sources.

The positive response of plants and soils to humic acids derived from leonardite have been demonstrated by many researchers. There is abundant evidence from field trials with humic acids from leonardite that prove the value of leonardite as a humic acids source.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Leonardite is a source of humic acid which for me is the magic bullet.

Leonardite has the highest humic acids content of any natural source. Although humic acids can be extracted from peat, composts or soils; none of these sources are so concentrated and abundant as leonardite. It is plentiful and inexpensive compared to other possible humic acid sources.

The positive response of plants and soils to humic acids derived from leonardite have been demonstrated by many researchers. There is abundant evidence from field trials with humic acids from leonardite that prove the value of leonardite as a humic acids source.

I have read that humic acid is highly beneficial that's why this product peaked my interest even at sample size. What about the Pyrophilliticate Silicate Clay portion of the amendment? Would you, or anyone have any knowledge regarding that?

Thanks for your knowledge.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Haha, Yep, like everything else sold at a hydroponic store.
There is a shop near my work that sells lots of equipment "for tobacco use only" . . .

I'll stick with my whisk(e)y, thanks.

If by equipment you mean paraphernalia for consumption, then ya, tobacco, pot, herbs, essential oils etc... sure, why not. But if you mean equipment as in for cultivation purposes, they're silly and naive, and should at the very least market it for growing alfalfa or lettuce... and I don't mean the devils lettuce.. unless that strain of lettuce is legal in your state, then who cares.

I've never heard of indoor tobacco cultivation.. unless it's wacky tobacky.

Last edited:

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is this sold under the rubric of silicon making your plants harderhardier?

I'm sure indoor gardeners who grow cannabis, or tomatoes, or any other hydroponically grown consumable want to get the biggest yields regardless of their product. I don't really care about big yields because I'm not growing any of the above mentioned, but I do want healthy roots, green leaves, and thicker trunks. I believe that there is a lot to be learned from hydro-shops, indoor gardeners, and gorilla farmers. They've been mimicking the outdoors in basements, closets, and spare bedrooms, and those with more means in elaborate greenhouses and vacant industrial units. They've been feeding their plants with nutrients that are only available at hydro shops that big box stores don't carry, use methods like CO2 injection to increase growth, and use other tips and tricks that the majority of commoners and non-professional horticulturalist folk have not been exposed to. I think there's a wealth of knowledge there, and I don't mind trying to tap into it. Regardless of what it's marketed as, I want to know how it affects the growth of plants, and how I could apply it to my small but growing bonsai garden. On the flip side, if the product is a gimmick, superfluous, or toxic, I want to know that too, so that i can avoid it in my trails and tribulations.

Last edited:

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If by equipment you mean paraphernalia for consumption, then ya, tobacco, pot, herbs, essential oils etc... sure, why not. But if you mean equipment as in for cultivation purposes, they're silly and naive, and should at the very least market it for growing alfalfa or lettuce... and I don't mean the devils lettuce.. unless that strain of lettuce is legal in your state, then who cares.

I've never heard of indoor tobacco cultivation.. unless it's wacky tobacky.
Haha, yes, paraphernalia.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
I have read that humic acid is highly beneficial that's why this product peaked my interest even at sample size. What about the Pyrophilliticate Silicate Clay portion of the amendment? Would you, or anyone have any knowledge regarding that?

Thanks for your knowledge.
To avoid even thinking about this question humic acid is available in liquid form or GRO-POWER PLANTING TABLETS

Top Bottom