Rate my Jin -- newbie edition

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't like the first one, I'd like to see a Shari that allows the bend to take precedence.

That keeps it too... T ish. Sideways T ish.

It leads the eye where the jin points to nowhere, not back to the tree.
With so much foliage disconnect...
This connection becomes more important.

The jin itself is well done. Short squat with a bit of branching. It is beautiful. Just poorly placed.

Sorce

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I would just make that lower one a stub. If you look at deadwood on Pines in nature, those low dead branches are usually broken off by heavy snow.
Other than that, the initial styling of this tree is good. You chose the right branch to keep. I really wouldn’t do any more work on it for a year or so. Let it recover When did you collect this, BTW?

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
When did you collect this, BTW?

I'm scared to tell you because I know its way too soon to be doing this kind of work........I dug it up and got it home and potted about 3 days ago.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
More like this?
(Pardon cheesy Paint skillz)
View attachment 259482
Yes. Thanks quite good. But don't do the Shari now. Wait until next year (if it makes it to next year). You'll probably have some dieback on the trunk below the jin. That will guide you to where the Shari will go.
Patience Daniel-san!

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Do nothing but water and feed it for at least a year. If it's growing strongly then you can work on it.

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It is a very nice beginning but I am afraid you are rushing things and may kill the tree. Been there - done that.

You are so right. I was going to take it MUCH slower, but then I heard this tree has AIDS and thought i'd make it my "practice all the stuff" tree. I realize now that the best thing for me to practice is PATIENCE. This tree didn't ask to be yanked out of the ground and tortured. I've been bitten hard by the bonsai bug, im sure that is pretty obvious.

But I have been rethinking my philosophy. Rather than torture this weird little infected tree, I really ought to be doing everything I can to nurse it to full health. I need to foster vigorous growth and give this tree the best life I can give it. Its actually a really cool relationship, to have found it in the wild and decided it was the right tree to bring home. So I will respect the tree and do what I can to help it................And then, when its nice and healthy, growing stronger and more alive than ever before..... THEN I can torture it!!!

Always appreciate the input, everyone. Thank you.

Top Bottom