Rather large “rescue” from a nursery

GoofballDJ

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey, I just picked up a new globosa nana from a nursery, half of the foliage on the side the sun was on for most of the day is a pale yellow. I brought it home and replanted it and I was wondering if you guys had any more tips to throw my way or and advice. I have no idea what direction I want to go with it yet, it just looks like a big bush right now. Thanks!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Pictures if you have the chance! Always useful for more targeted advice. Maybe some branches are fully dead and some may have evidence they can be saved which might direct things

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
It looks like further down from the yellow tips it’s still green - is that right? Unfortunately I don’t know much about the plant so I can’t really be helpful but I was picturing much worse initially.

GoofballDJ

Seedling
Reaction score
It looks like further down from the yellow tips it’s still green - is that right? Unfortunately I don’t know much about the plant so I can’t really be helpful but I was picturing much worse initially.
Yeah, everything underneath is a bit healthier, I did my best to get all the dead branches and all off

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Where are you located?
It is normal for this plant to go towards a golden red color as we near winter.

GoofballDJ

Seedling
Reaction score
Where are you located?
It is normal for this plant to go towards a golden red color as we near winter.
I live in southern Alabama, I brought it inside just because it gets to 90 during the day and 50 at night and I didn’t know if that change was too extreme for it

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live in southern Alabama, I brought it inside just because it gets to 90 during the day and 50 at night and I didn’t know if that change was too extreme for it
You are never doing a plant a service by bringing it inside if it belongs outside. I think that often these attempts at making our plants more comfortable harms them in the long run.
With tropicals we have no choice and just do the best we can for them. But a temperate zoned plant belongs outside all the time. This is especially true of conifers.

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Agree with @penumbra . In almost all cases it’s better keeping the tree outside as long as it does well in your zone (which this looks like it does) if anything I might give it some dappled shade.

Did you watch this video from Herrons? Some people don’t like him but he usually provides good basic info.

GoofballDJ

Seedling
Reaction score
You are never doing a plant a service by bringing it inside if it belongs outside. I think that often these attempts at making our plants more comfortable harms them in the long run.
With tropicals we have no choice and just do the best we can for them. But a temperate zoned plant belongs outside all the time. This is especially true of conifers.
Good to know! I’m new to this whole bonsai thing so I didn’t really know for sure, I thought I could get away with it since I have some other house plants too. But thanks for the information!

GoofballDJ

Seedling
Reaction score
Agree with @penumbra . In almost all cases it’s better keeping the tree outside as long as it does well in your zone (which this looks like it does) if anything I might give it some dappled shade.

Did you watch this video from Herrons? Some people don’t like him but he usually provides good basic info.

Okay awesome, I’ll have to look at some examples of that shape, but I don’t think I’ve seen that video I’ll definitely give it a look

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

I wasted $60 on 2 Cryptos after watching those vids, they don't grow so well down here 😂

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
All the trees outside in your area go though that temperature extreme and they are doing just fine. Now going from 60 to 20 in a day might be a different story depending on the species

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Forty degree swings in temps are very common here.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
You're not terribly far from me, should I reconsider spending 100$+ on cryptomerias? Which cryptomeria did you get exactly? Why was it a waste?
I am in zone 9a and not very far from you. I bought one cryptomeria and it grew well for a while but then died in the summer heat. If I were to try it again, I will surely find a more suitable place to shield it from from the harsh afternoon sun.

Doogliebop

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I am in zone 9a and not very far from you. I bought one cryptomeria and it grew well for a while but then died in the summer heat. If I were to try it again, I will surely find a more suitable place to shield it from from the harsh afternoon sun.
Yeah a plant either has to be a mutant or a native to survive South Louisiana heat. Luckily I have a yard full of thick live oaks to help with dappling but even that isn't enough sometimes.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You're not terribly far from me, should I reconsider spending 100$+ on cryptomerias? Which cryptomeria did you get exactly? Why was it a waste?
Not sure which one, but they both died, fairly quickly. Too hot. Even in morning sun only. I haven't seen a single crypto bonsai coming out of Texas. I equate them with Larch. Its just too hot and not cold enough.

Top Bottom