Rawlyn's Azalea 2020-2025 Contest Entry

bunjin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I would suggest rewiring after wrapping with raffia or jute twine. Wire entire trunk if possible from the root ball with multiple gauges as necessary and not so many wraps per inch. Basic form is very good! I have many Jukos, but not a cascade.:)

rawlyn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Long overdue update. Made it through another winter with minimal damage. It’s got a bunch of spots that appear to be prepping to leaf out as the weather improves, as well as more than a dozen flower buds. I plan to keep at least some of these to get a sense for how they appear on this structure in terms scale, etc. (these flowers tend to be quite large). I’m reasonably happy with the overall structure of the cascade at this point, presuming growth proceeds more or less as it has to date (I wouldn’t mind a little more left-right balance, but you can’t have everything). Hoping I will also have time to develop some more foliage nearer the base and especially the initial inflection point.

Now to find “the pot”. . .

Mike

Attachments

• 52C2ED57-1DEE-4D53-9473-1773DD97FBBA.jpeg
    52C2ED57-1DEE-4D53-9473-1773DD97FBBA.jpeg
    256.3 KB · Views: 35
  • D8962738-8387-4A7C-8DD9-8C691DB896E9.jpeg
    D8962738-8387-4A7C-8DD9-8C691DB896E9.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 31
  • A2A031DA-4ABE-4A99-BCC5-2930C20FB22F.jpeg
    A2A031DA-4ABE-4A99-BCC5-2930C20FB22F.jpeg
    341.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 61AD7301-B3C2-4540-A233-7A4A036CFB3B.jpeg
    61AD7301-B3C2-4540-A233-7A4A036CFB3B.jpeg
    297.3 KB · Views: 32

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well done with your Gettoku!

So, at this point besides echoing your comments about bud break at the base and balance.….

….So perhaps pruning back the long right branch to its inner foliage group… leave a stub to reinforce the back-budding in that area……. and work to develop a “second tier“ ….and maybe a third up top later to hide the “big bend” and offset the tail as the top area growth pushes.

Good luck!
DSD sends

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Long overdue update. Made it through another winter with minimal damage. It’s got a bunch of spots that appear to be prepping to leaf out as the weather improves, as well as more than a dozen flower buds. I plan to keep at least some of these to get a sense for how they appear on this structure in terms scale, etc. (these flowers tend to be quite large). I’m reasonably happy with the overall structure of the cascade at this point, presuming growth proceeds more or less as it has to date (I wouldn’t mind a little more left-right balance, but you can’t have everything). Hoping I will also have time to develop some more foliage nearer the base and especially the initial inflection point.

Now to find “the pot”. . .

Mike
Good progress. In your first picture, you have a strong branch that is jetting off to the right following the apex downwards that is very close in size to the apex in thickness and in length. Not sure what your plans are however I would consider cutting back that branch to the first branchlet on that branch and regrow that branch. This will give some taper and allow you to wire in the movement to set that branch in place with the future pads.

rawlyn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good progress. In your first picture, you have a strong branch that is jetting off to the right following the apex downwards that is very close in size to the apex in thickness and in length. Not sure what your plans are however I would consider cutting back that branch to the first branchlet on that branch and regrow that branch. This will give some taper and allow you to wire in the movement to set that branch in place with the future pads
Good progress. In your first picture, you have a strong branch that is jetting off to the right following the apex downwards that is very close in size to the apex in thickness and in length. Not sure what your plans are however I would consider cutting back that branch to the first branchlet on that branch and regrow that branch. This will give some taper and allow you to wire in the movement to set that branch in place with the future pads.
Intrigued by your suggestion, after mulling it over a bit, I opted to go for it. I think it helps balance out the overall impression of the tree. Many thanks!

Mike

rawlyn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My entry In bloom:
20220701_194427.jpg

20220701_194413.jpg

20220625_222300.jpg

Only wound up with two fully opened blossoms this year. Some animal (most likely chipmunk, squirrel or bird) was pulling all the unopened blossoms just before they were ready to open (as soon as the color came in fully). Lost at least three or four from this tree before I finally brought it indoors for safety to get these two blooms. I had two other cultivars that bloomed earlier in the season, and the critters left them entirely alone. Go figure.

Will obviously need to get serious about protecting this bonsai during year 5 of the contest. . .

I got an actual or for this earlier this spring, and probably will repot later this weekend, and see about some pruning near the base at the same time.

Mike

rawlyn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sadly, I am out of the contest. Despite being kept under cover throughout what was a fairly warm winter, my contest tree did not survive. When I checked, it had dropped nearly all its leaves, the others followed soon thereafter and it never pushed any new ones.

Had a lot of plants act/react strangely this spring. Most notably, the “spare” azalea I separated from the contest tree when I originally acquired it did make it through in seemingly good shape - but never flowered despite having lots of buds. In ground lilac (10 ft high) produced literally three blossoms, and my in ground plums blossomed like crazy but aren’t fruiting. Maybe there was just one poorly timed cold night or something. . .

Top Bottom